Instrument Placement: Wrist or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to here from our merry band of contributors on where they prefer to have their computer & compass located....your wrist or in a console? (SPG's are excluded from this since they usually require to be mounted on a hose)

Be sure to elaborate why you like your preference and what advantages or disadvanges it has over the other.

If you attach your console to your BC, how do you do it and where? (I haven't found that "sweet" spot for my setup yet :grrr: )

If you are a "wristie", what is on which wrist and why?

Thanks for your input, I've been learning lots by reading what you folks have to contribute.

--TexasMike =-)

Guess this is mostly a personal pref thing but I use the old tried and true 3 gauge hose mount. I keep it attached to my BC's left shoulder strap tag (loose) end with a short length of nylon web and quick release clips. Attached there, it kind of hangs mid chest, is easy to find and can be read without removing it. To use the compass, just unclip it and go. I also like the gauges together when I am navigating, that way I can keep a close eye on the compass but can also do a quick flip of the console to check air and depth without having much disruption. You actually can have the SPG without the hose if you use one of the air intergrated computers but a lot of us don't care for them...comp dies and your diving is finished but that's another discussion.

At the moment I have my compass on my left wrist and my computer on my right wrist. This is only because I have built up my equipment second hand and have bought what was available at the time. I intend to buy new regulators and gauges soon and will go for everything in a console. The reason for this is that whilst doing my rescue course I found that I could not see my ascent rate whilst controlling the buoyancy of the victim and myself. I also find it uncomfortable to hold my arm in a position so that the compass is in the usable position.

Mike,

My experience with wrist-mounted gauges is only 1 dive (Tuesday night dive -- you probably saw my descriptio about this below), but so far I have to say I like it. I decided to try out the wrist-config based on recommendations from some of my tech diving friends and the reading I've been doing about DIR. In general, wrist mounted gauges are more streamlined than a console. That being said -- it really comes down to personal preference and diving style.

For me the determing factor was last summer on a boat dive. I was navigating an out and back course from an anchor line and my buddy and I could not find the anchor line on the way back. We were in about 70 feet of water with 10-15 feet of visibility. No panic -- we signalled to each other that we would make a free ascent. We did a very slow ascent, paying close attention to our ascent rates by watching our computers (absolutely no point of reference except for our bubbles). We also conducted a 3-4 minute drifting safety stop.

When I go back and think about this type of situation, I feel that wrist-mounted gauges would have made this situation easier to manage. During this free ascent, we were in a head up position, keeping our buoyancy on the slightly negative side and finning gently upward, with our left hands controlling our BC inflator/vent hoses. Since both my console and inflator are on the left side, this was a little awkward. Having the computer on the right wrist would have made this easier.

Regarding the compass -- I just bought a Suunto Sk-7 wrist mount compass and it works really well...better than virtually all of the console compasses I've used in the past (since I've been renting equipment during the past year, I've used alot of them).

I'm not saying that wrist-mount is for everyone -- I made the decision based on my evaluation of how I dive and what seems most convienient/comfortable for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments L.D.

What you said about your ascent is one of the reasons I'm considering wrist mount for the computer. And I appreciate the recommendation for the compass.

Anyone else care to contribute to this thread?

compass on left wrist

bottom timer/depth gauge on right wrist

SPG clipped to lower-left D-ring

navigation and depth/time monitoring are handy (no pun
intended) and can be kept right under my face if needed
without holding onto anything. when ascending I can hold
onto the deflate on my wing with left hand and monitor
depth etc from gauge on right. if necessary to add gas
back to suit or wing i can do it even if hand is still
controlling deflator ALL THE WHILE HAVING MY DEPTH GAUGE
EASILY VIEWABLE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/