Instructors in Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings!

A friend of mine lives in Austin and is interested in getting certified.

Can anyone recommend a good instructor?

Thanks!

Do they live North or South? Austin covers a lot of ground ..... Alan & I did both our OW & AOW with same instructor last year - Robie Lewis. She's terrific - knowledgable, patient - but won't let you slide on stuff. I think she'll be working out of Scubaland Adventures - the LDS that she was at where I certified closed up their Austin location. My daughter plans to certify this summer, and I hope to set her up with Robie. If interested, and your friend can't find her, PM me and I'll get you her e-mail address ....

I must agree with Ms Kat.

Robie is, by all indicators, first rate. Then again I would dive,and do dive, with any of the instructors at Scubaland. I visited all the shops in the Austin area last September when looking to take my OW. I chose Scubaland because of their professionalism. Instructors actually man the store. In fact the person I got my initial information from taught my OW, my Nitrox, and my AOW.

I am now scheduled to take my Rescue Diver class with Robie and was able to see how she interracts with other divers this weekend at the Underwater Easter Egg Hunt.

If you or your friend want specifics on my feelings about that shop or specific contact information you can write to me offline.

Chad at AustinDiver dot COM

You can check out Scubaland at http://www.scubaland.com

Nice to see that Alan & I are not alone in being "Robie" fans out here on the boards ..... when are you taking Rescue with her? It's one of the classes we need to get done, but will probably need to wait till June or July .....

I am scheduled for the May 10-11 RD class with Robie.

I still need my MFA or MFR class and they are not sure when they will be offering that class so we may end up with our RDs around the same time if this goes like some of my other outings. I had to cancel my last scheduled RD class because of an ear problem. Hopefully I will not have that problem again. I really wanted to be finished with the RD class in March.

Well, it looks like Robie has a pretty decent fan club.

Thanks, guys!

Arnaud ..... you're very welcome!! I've been in e-mail contact with Robie - so if you're friend decides he/she is interested, Robie loves to dive and loves to teach, and will be out doing both as much as possible!!:D

Not to interrupt the praise of Robie, but a far south alternative is Oak Hill SCUBA - you'll find carlislere and I there.

http://www.oakhillscuba.com/

If they decide to cert. thru a naui course.. I would be willing to part with my books
"Naui Scuba Diver"
and
the Master Diver (NOT DIVE MASTER) books for $25 each
In great condition... used once..... hehe

Peter Oliver and Richard Kongable. Austin Aquasports and/or Tom's Dive and Ski should be able to put you in touch with either of them. BTW, Peter literally wrote the book(s) (or edited them) for NAUI. His NAUI writing and editing credits include the OW, AOW, RD, MSD books.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom