Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver30

Reaction score
Hey im 14 comin on 15 and when im older i want to be a diving instructor in malta or some were. because i would be working there would i just be able to go straight out there or need some specail things or somthin thanks im mega confused :doctor:

Go to school. Get good grades. Get a job that pays six figures or better. Then...dive when where and how you want. Teach if you like, even. Buy your own shop or resort if you want. You don't want to work for a dive shop owner. If you don't believe me, ask your folks.

Mike

Do what Mike said then retire and move someplace warm and teach for a little spending money.

Chad

Originally posted by diver30
So its not a good idea when i leave skool to go strait teachin divin

No. Get some good education, go to university. maybe teach SCUBA part time. Then decide later. But hey! you have lots of time to dive and learn!

Originally posted by diver30
So its not a good idea when i leave skool to go strait teachin divin

If you do decide you want to teach and dont want to wait until your 60 like everyone suggest, get a good paying job Mon-Fri and work as a instructor on the weekends. Most Instructors dont make very much money so its not uncommon to find instructors who have a regular job during the week and teach on the weekends. I'm not saying you cant make a living working in the store and teaching in a resort location, but dont expect to get rich. More than likely you will just make just enough money to survive. If your determined to make a career of instructing then A. Save up some money to open your own shop or B. Work hard to become a Course Director since teaching instructors is where the money is if you want to teach for a living.

Ryan Stone
IDCS

As a professional artist, I remember people telling me as a kid to become a wealthy doctor & captain of industry, & when I own the paint company, I can keep a little for my own art. Most of these well-meaning people were pro artists themselves & had suffered the ups & downs of their careers. I would hear none of that. I got on a bus to California early one morning. I never looked back.

I am not rich, & am looking at the possible need for a career change at age 37. Nonetheless, I did what I wanted, made some $, had adventures, escaped a miserable small town, met my husband & other exciting creative people, and I do not envy my sisters who stayed behind with their educations & jobs in retail. I caution young people only because I do not know what their expectations are (getting rich, famous, finding a sexy model to marry them, etc.) But if you are going to persue a life of adventure with low pay, your young years are the best time to do it. Travel works best before you are married with kids. You can always go to university later when u r tired of the instability. But you only have your youth for a short period of time, & if you think travel & excitement are for you, there are jobs out there & someone has to do them. Research which cruise lines hire dive instructors, check out resorts on the internet. Find out what Instructor training Courses will give you a real advantage, not just be easy to pass. Cultivate knowledge about the ocean, & use your classes at school to investigate oceanography & marine biology. Stay intellectually curious; you will always need an active mind.

The older & wiser people who caution you are thinking from a different perspective; we are more concerned with mortgage payments, car repairs, health insurance, & other boring grown-up stuff. It is good to have a trade other than diving (ie: something that does not take too long to learn) while you are deciding what to do with your future. Who is to say that you won't get in touch with your spiritual side on Grand Cayman, hear about a new career field in Belize? If you are still trying to find out who "you" are, you just need to have experiences. Frankly, I think you are more likely to stay out of booze & drugs as a diving instructor than if you rush into college or the military. You will have responsibilities, & you can't drink & dive. You will have enough money for a simple life, & when you are young, that's just fine. If you stay in England, your first job will probably be working for a jerk anyway, so why not a jerk with a dive shop or boat?

I think "follow your dreams" does not mean you are being foolish. Not everyone is great in school; not everyone is interested in book-learning at this stage of life. If you "waste" a year teaching diving in Fiji & find out it is not for you, it is better than following a career you hate & saying when u r 60, "Gee, I wonder what life would have been like if I just tried teaching diving?"

thanks alot guys i shall think long and hard about what i want to do when i leave skool but i suppose if u were teaching diving for ur life it would get really boring anyways thanks a bunch

The most interesting part of this thread is the different perspectives of an artist versus and engineer. Left brain vs. right brain if you will. Absolutley great stereotypical (not meant in a negative way) responses. I love it. Personally, I feel strongly both ways. :jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom