Instructor recommendation in Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kivahan

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good OW instructor in Seattle? NAUI or PADI? I've called a few dive shops but would prefer to go on recommendation rather than price. It seems healthier to me to have someone teach safe and sensible diving from the start. I'm not concerned how "nice" they are, just that they are a good instructor.

Thanks in advance!
-Mark

Hi there,

Not sure if he's still teaching scuba, but my instructor moved there back in 99. I would REALLY reccommend you look him up. His name is Sam Scott, and he's a NAUI / YMCA instructor. He is extremely knowledgable, patient, and I would reccomend him to anyone. If you can't get his info, please PM me, and I will gladly give you his email address. He gave me a confidence and skill level, that I felt was on par with divers much more experienced than me (at time of certification).

kivahan:
Can anyone recommend a good OW instructor in Seattle? NAUI or PADI? I've called a few dive shops but would prefer to go on recommendation rather than price. It seems healthier to me to have someone teach safe and sensible diving from the start. I'm not concerned how "nice" they are, just that they are a good instructor.

Thanks in advance!
-Mark
Where in the Seattle area do you live? I know several excellent instructors, and would be happy to refer you to one that is local to your residence ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You guys are fast! Thanks for the suggestions. Dive2Deep, I'll look up your instructor and will PM you if I have no luck. NWGratefulDiver, I sent you a PM.

kivahan:
Can anyone recommend a good OW instructor in Seattle? NAUI or PADI?
Hint Hint, Bob is a Naui instructor himself. He teaches through 5th Dimension in Issaquah.

kivahan:
It seems healthier to me to have someone teach safe and sensible diving from the start.
That is exactly what Bob and his classes are all about.

Good luck!
Jason

kivahan:

Thanks in advance!
-Mark

Hi Mark,

I would recommend checking out Craig Gillespie, his website is www.seattlescuba.com .... He is PADI right now, but has also taught NAUI, SSI, YMCA etc.... I did some training with him, and he is the best I know. (Haven't had the chance to dive with any of the others mentioned here, but I also know that Bob - NWgratefuldiver - also comes highly recommended.) Congratulations on taking the plunge :D .

All I can say is that it is too bad more divers don't take this or a similar approach to dive instruction. Signing up for instruction through your the local dive shop who sells the classes at less than cost and makes up the difference in equipment, is decidedly not the way to go for dive instruction.

I was happy with my PADI OW cert class, but if I knew then what I wasn't being taught... I'd be pissed.

JK

Blackfish, what were you not taught?

New Daddy:
If your still looking, I'd recommend Ki and Seong Kang at Edmonds Underwater Sports.
I'd second that recommendation ... good instructors and very nice people.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom