Instructor Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took me up until I joined the Pro club to realized my shop has been fleecing me. Since I started DMing for them I haven't bought a thing there. Even though I get the discount.

Why would you work for a shop you felt that way about? For both your sakes you need to find another shop!

I use that shop because I still get along great with the instructors and I love helping out the new diver, remember I don't get paid at this shop, I have a full time job. I just hate the price they charge, I know they need to make money but come on.

B e very careful about not showing your thoughts on this subject to customers/students!!! I guarentee the shop would not be pleased with you if you expressed your views on their prices.

I use that shop because I still get along great with the instructors and I love helping out the new diver, remember I don't get paid at this shop, I have a full time job. I just hate the price they charge, I know they need to make money but come on.

Just remember as long as you are working for them as a divemaster, paid or not, that you are representing them. You don't have to lie. Best advice is to say good things about the shop when you can and stay quiet when you cannot.

I find that I really never have to mention the shop when I talk with students. I just talk to them mostly about diving and equipment, I never tell them go here or there and get it, I just give my opinion if the gear is good or bad.

Go with the electronic version, it is cheaper and easier to update. The big ole binder is somewhere in the $300 range...Thank you fire department for buying me my copy.
Unless youre planning on taking a laptop near the water or everywhere, get the paper version. When you are an instructor you will get the digital version for free every year.

I find that I really never have to mention the shop when I talk with students. I just talk to them mostly about diving and equipment, I never tell them go here or there and get it, I just give my opinion if the gear is good or bad.
What do you mean fleecing? Keep in mind they only reason they can employ you is because they make money.

What do you mean fleecing? Keep in mind they only reason they can employ you is because they make money.

Keep in mind that he's already working for free, and with his "discount," he's likely paying them to work there. Fleecing is exactly what it is.

Wait until you get your DM packet. Usually they give you a 90 day period where you can get 30% off member price. This translates to about level 3 pricing. Many small shops are not at that level. The lds I was with at the time was pissed that I got mine this way. He wanted to include it in with his order and up his level. He was even going to charge me 10% off member price before I got my DM packet and found out about the big discount! I ordered a bunch of materials that I needed at the time. He was even going to discount shipping. But guess what? Shipping on orders over $100 is free anyway!

Another reason I went the YMCA route for instructor.

I got the electronic one and just update quarterly. ALso if you want you can print out the sections you'd like to make your own paper version. I actually traded several sections for my NAUI S&P manual.

Keep in mind that he's already working for free, and with his "discount," he's likely paying them to work there. Fleecing is exactly what it is.

Thats not the shops fault. Who would turn away a volunteer? Fleecing means defrauding. Did they lie about the prices or the terms of his vounteerism? If anything, they are taking advantage of his good will.

Back
Top Bottom