Instructor internship in Australia, New Zealand or South Pacific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devin95

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I live in Switzerland and work as an electronic engineer. I'm 18 years old and doing the CMAS*** currently. I dive since 3 years. All most I dive in the Swiss-lakes. I've got 253 logged dives now. I speak German (very good), English (good), and some Franch (basicly).

In one or two years, I'll do a year off. I plan to travel for a year. While this time, I would like to do the instructor training. I'm searching for an instructor internship in Australia, New Zealand or South Pacific. I'm looking for a possibility to bay the training with a few month of work on a dive resort, because may budget is limited.

If you offer a dive instructor internship for a few month of work on your resort, pleas answer on this thread. Thanx.

I live in Switzerland and work as an electronic engineer. I'm 18 years old and doing the CMAS*** currently. I dive since 3 years. All most I dive in the Swiss-lakes. I've got 253 logged dives now. I speak German (very good), English (good), and some Franch (basicly).

In one or two years, I'll do a year off. I plan to travel for a year. While this time, I would like to do the instructor training. I'm searching for an instructor internship in Australia, New Zealand or South Pacific. I'm looking for a possibility to bay the training with a few month of work on a dive resort, because may budget is limited.

If you offer a dive instructor internship for a few month of work on your resort, pleas answer on this thread. Thanx.

Nobody any idea?
Where else should?

Hello,

I can't give you too much direct advice but I can say that what you want to look into is a working holiday visa. You may be able to get on with some of the boats in a location like Cairns or Port Douglas and then work some deals with local instructors or the boats. I say Cairns and Port Douglas because that is my area and the one I'm most familiar with.

Be warned you make very little money in diving and to get resort jobs you'll have to work you way up the ladder, so working on some of the day boats may be better with your time constraints. If you are not set on Aus / NZ you could look into the Caribbean but I don't know the situation there. Thailand is an option as well.

If you have any questions let me know!

Cheers!

Hi there, I can't advise you on internships in the countries you listed, but
Scuba-Fun in Key Largo, FL has internship programs for divers who speak fluent German and it help to also speak English and French. Training includes PADI DM training, and if already a DM, can work with you on your instructor level.
You can contact the owner at anya@scuba-fun.com. Mention that I referred you to her.
Good luck.

I'm 18 years old and doing the CMAS*** currently.

In one or two years, I'll do a year off. I plan to travel for a year. While this time, I would like to do the instructor training. I'm searching for an instructor internship in Australia, New Zealand or South Pacific. I'm looking for a possibility to pay the training with a few month of work on a dive resort, because may budget is limited.

CMAS is not very common in the South Pacific. PADI and SSI are the most common agencies. You can cross over to one of these agencies pretty easily and continue from there.

In these agencies, your first professional rating is Divemaster (PADI) or DiveCon (SSI). This usually takes around 3-4 weeks and may cost around 500 euro.

From there you can continue to an Instructor license which takes around 1 month and costs somewhere around 2000 euro. It will be very, very difficult to find an internship for these courses as supply (people wanting jobs) is much more than demand (jobs available). Some people who have already taken their training/licenses are working for almost no money already. It is unlikely that they will give the position to someone who still needs the training.

The situation may change in one or two years, but my advice is to save, save, save your money. Becoming a diving instructor is very expensive. Speaking 3 foreign languages is very good for working in foreign countries. German is a very good diving language, French can be useful- English is a must.

Training at home may be cheaper in the long run. NZ and Australia have high costs for living- if you can stay with friends/family in Switzerland and train there, I'd do that.

Best of luck

PADI instructor costs... I added it up a year or so ago and it was around the AUD$3100 mark, which should be getting cheaper for you by the day.

in Cairns they do like people to speak other languages but they will prefer either Japanese or a Chinese dialect (Mandarin is a preference), but 3 languages is something that should be emphasised.

finding dive work is hard in Cairns and you'll need to have budget to sit idle for some time while getting a dive job. I have no idea how easy it is to get other work.

to get experience you might want to look at getting your instructors ticket in the EU and then "work" for a research company for a few months. this will get your numbers up for OW and AOW, which will mean you're much more employable.

CMAS is not very common in the South Pacific. PADI and SSI are the most common agencies. You can cross over to one of these agencies pretty easily and continue from there.

In these agencies, your first professional rating is Divemaster (PADI) or DiveCon (SSI). This usually takes around 3-4 weeks and may cost around 500 euro.

From there you can continue to an Instructor ...

I did talk o few dive centers in Australia and New Zealand while the last months. It was me told many times, that I've to graduate a PADI DM education first. But in Europa CMAS *** and PADI DM are equivalent, because I asked "PADI Asia Pacific" direct. They told me, a *** diver can always start a IDC, without any crossover or other education before! (…because CMAS *** and PADI DM are equivalent all over the world.)

Two of the PADI Course Directors I talked to couldn't believe it. They asked "PADI Asia Pacific" again, with the same result.

finding dive work is hard in Cairns and you'll need to have budget to sit idle for some time while getting a dive job. I have no idea how easy it is to get other work.

to get experience you might want to look at getting your instructors ticket in the EU and then "work" for a research company for a few months. this will get your numbers up for OW and AOW, which will mean you're much more employable. .
I'm not looking for a job. I'm just searching an internship. The would be easier ways to work in Australia, then the dive. I'm an engineer. I'm looking for experience and a possibility to expand my time aboard.

A very interesting offer, see: PADI Dive Master Course - Divemaster - Deep Sea Divers Den Cairns - Diving Great Barrier Reef, North Queensland, Australia

The situation may change in one or two years, but my advice is to save, save, save your money. Becoming a diving instructor is very expensive. Speaking 3 foreign languages is very good for working in foreign countries. German is a very good diving language, French can be useful- English is a must.

Training at home may be cheaper in the long run. NZ and Australia have high costs for living- if you can stay with friends/family in Switzerland and train there, I'd do that.
Australia may looks expensive to you. But believe me, Switzerland is much more expensive…

Back
Top Bottom