Instructor/Instruction recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoolin01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a sorta frequent NorCal diver, based on the SF Peninsula, with a lot of dives but no formal training beyond PADI OW 13 years ago. I'm wondering if there are any divers with recommendations for good instructors in this area for additional training? I really know little yet about the various specialties but I am a recent drysuit convert who dives mostly shallow for sightseeing, photography, and spearfishing. I expect some formal training in drysuit diving would be useful, and I'd like to learn more about gas management, deco diving, and coping with common OW challenges and emergencies. Just looking to know more about what I'm doing or might encounter. I'm not looking at wreck or cave diving but would not be averse to exposure to these areas.

If anyone can recommend particularly good instructors for appropriate courses in this area, I'd appreciate the information.

I spent a weekend with some newly OW certified divers who were themselves doing their PADI AOW, 13 years ago, and remember wondering about the value of that particular curriculum (compass navigation, which I am fair at, and narcosis experience are the elements I recall), but I'm sure there was more to it, and I'm open to all advice.

Regards,
Mike

For tech diving, the two large organizations that I know of out here, are GUE and TDI. I think they each offer good curriculum; my recommendation would be to examine the standards of each, meet the instructors, and go from there.

As far as dive shops go, my recommendation is AWS (Any Water Sports) in San Jose, near 280 and Saratoga. I've been with them for a little over a year now, and have nothing but positive things to say. Frank (the owner) has, to date, even talked me out of a couple purchases. Not, mind you, talked me into something else, but actually told me not to waste my money on gear he didn't think I'd need.

That's an owner who cares.

-Ben

P.S.: Just to deflate the questions I suspect will be coming, he stocks that sort of gear because there are people for whom he would think the gear would be useful. I'm not talking about cheap trinkets, but things that one diver might legitimately want, but that another diver would legitimately find that he doesn't.

I'd advise starting Rescue (which usually prereqs AOW) and then the GUE
Fundies class. And get some training on that suit ASAP.

When I did AOW, we did compass (no sweat, I was my Boy Scout troop's map
and compass instructor), Salvage (how to use a lift bag, that's been handy
occasionally, there's a mess of salvaged lead in my garage), Deep (but it
wasn't THAT deep, we did it in Whaler's), and Wreck (we did the sailboat
and/or the Del Monte amphtrack). But it was a smorgasbord - there were
other options, do any four, so you could pick and choose.

For tech diving, the two large organizations that I know of out here, are GUE and TDI. I think they each offer good curriculum; my recommendation would be to examine the standards of each, meet the instructors, and go from there.
Thanks for the tips, I (mostly) like what I read on the GUE site regarding the Fundies curriculum, and I see they offer classes in Monterey on occassion. I'll check into them a little more. Is it correct the course fee is only $75? That was the only price I could find shown for registration and seems very inexpensive compared to other classes. One of us is on a very tight budget so this would be a plus. The TDI site offered only brief course content and no fees, but I'll inquire a bit more.

I've been to AWS a few times - are there instructors there you have used?

I'd advise starting Rescue (which usually prereqs AOW) and then the GUE
Fundies class. And get some training on that suit ASAP.
LOL - I too thank the Scouts for much useful training, and good times. We've done OK so far with the 7mm neoprene suits but they do present unique challenges and risks and I think some education and drills would be useful. I'd also like to learn a bit more about the range of suits and options out there. By any chance can you recommend any particular instructor?

Regarding Fundies, do you consider the Rescue class a good prereq? It would seem that Fundies itself otherwise would substitute for any AOW requirement, or...?

I don't see much likelihood of proceeding to advanced gas or overhead diving, though the GUE Tech I seems like what I have in mind for eventual proficiency level, at least for myself. With that in mind, I'm wondering about the highly specific gear and configuration requirements. I'm assuming at the Fundies stage these have more to do with aligning with the program farther down the line - split fins, 6C flashlights, or strapping my knife to my lower leg are hard to imagine as inconsistent with getting the knowledge and skills we're interested in. I'm a little leery of this apparent aspect of GUE. Can anyone offer any insight here?

Mike

If you can get into the course through extension, and deal with the schedule, IDS 407 at U.C. Berkeley is the best diving education available.

I don't think you need the whole DIR nine yards for fundies, but you certainly
need your primary reg on a long (5-7') hose, and your secondary reg
bungied around your neck. This is a very good idea anyway. I've had to
share air three times with somebody. The first time was with a traditional
octopus setup. I did not like that. The second two occasions I was on
the long hose and it worked VERY well. Interestingly, all three low on
air divers were Instructors! Fortunately they were all LOW on air, not
OUT of air, so had no problem keeping a cool head.

Is it correct the course fee is only $75?

No that is the GUE registration fee. That does not include what the instructor charges for the class. Each instructor sets their own fees. So you will have to ask the instructor you plan to use about the class fee.

If you can get into the course through extension, and deal with the schedule, IDS 407 at U.C. Berkeley is the best diving education available.
I like this idea - have you heard of anyone able to do this through the extension program? Maybe they'd let me audit...

Auditing was never allowed, but extension used to be routine. They have changed the course recently and the course numbers, here's a link.

Back
Top Bottom