Instructor compensation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paying instructor compensation on a per student basis tends to encourage instructors to shy away from small classes and pack as many students into larger classes as possible to maximize income. Downside is that from a student's point of view, smaller class size is clearly better for many obvious reasons. So you have motivating factors in two opposdite directions - quite the quandry!

How do we address that here? Our instructor compensation, as well as AI's & DM's, is on an hourly basis. They prefer smaller classes to provide a more personalized experience and less rushing. Students win, instructors win, costs us a little more money but in the end, we win too. Can't beat that!

Most of the places I worked at as an instructor would pay expenses first then split what's left in half between the shop and the instructor. They never paid commission on gear which is why everyone didn't push gear sales plain and simple. Having owned my own shop I can say yes, it's very hard to give someone 5 percent in a bad economy but if you can't then you're doing something wrong. 5 percent less on a sale is better than no sale when you have bills to pay and things are slow. Sometimes instead of cash we offered the same value in gear which made them happy as well.

Not to get off track here but the biggest problem we've had is people taking up our time for advice, and then going to the internet to buy even though we could have sold the exact same stuff for less. Most didn't even give us an opportunity to price it out.
Jay,

How do other businessess handle this? I can offer two suggestions.......

1. Bundle equipment / travel / courses together into a packagae, so it is difficult for the end client to work out which part of the price belongs to which component. If they value all components of the offer, they are more likely to buy the package through you as opposed to going on-line and buying each component individually. It does depend upon your target market though. Price sensitive clients won't go for this.

2. Verbally 9or in writing - your choice) tell all prospective clients that you give equipment advice to that you will match any offer - should they find something cheaper on-line. You may also mention that the first service on gear purchased through you if free (??), or some other little small gimmick that provides peace of mind and ties that client back into your store store. What can you do that the internet cannot? Here are a few things..... Free dive package with equipment sold. Free service. Free colurse (or discounted). Free membership to your dive club. Etc. Look for a value add that does not cost you a lot, but is valued by the end client.

Remember - you can offer peace of mind - the internet cannot.....

Hope this helps :)

Most of the places I worked at as an instructor would pay expenses first then split what's left in half between the shop and the instructor. They never paid commission on gear which is why everyone didn't push gear sales plain and simple. Having owned my own shop I can say yes, it's very hard to give someone 5 percent in a bad economy but if you can't then you're doing something wrong. 5 percent less on a sale is better than no sale when you have bills to pay and things are slow. Sometimes instead of cash we offered the same value in gear which made them happy as well.

Not to get off track here but the biggest problem we've had is people taking up our time for advice, and then going to the internet to buy even though we could have sold the exact same stuff for less. Most didn't even give us an opportunity to price it out.
Jay,

How do other businessess handle this? I can offer two suggestions.......

1. Bundle equipment / travel / courses together into a packagae, so it is difficult for the end client to work out which part of the price belongs to which component. If they value all components of the offer, they are more likely to buy the package through you as opposed to going on-line and buying each component individually. It does depend upon your target market though. Price sensitive clients won't go for this.

2. Verbally 9or in writing - your choice) tell all prospective clients that you give equipment advice to that you will match any offer - should they find something cheaper on-line. You may also mention that the first service on gear purchased through you if free (??), or some other little small gimmick that provides peace of mind and ties that client back into your store store. What can you do that the internet cannot? Here are a few things..... Free dive package with equipment sold. Free service. Free course (or discounted). Free membership to your dive club. Etc. Look for a value add that does not cost you a lot, but is valued by the end client.

Remember - you can offer peace of mind - the internet cannot.....

Hope this helps :)

Paying instructor compensation on a per student basis tends to encourage instructors to shy away from small classes and pack as many students into larger classes as possible to maximize income. Downside is that from a student's point of view, smaller class size is clearly better for many obvious reasons. So you have motivating factors in two opposdite directions - quite the quandry!

How do we address that here? Our instructor compensation, as well as AI's & DM's, is on an hourly basis. They prefer smaller classes to provide a more personalized experience and less rushing. Students win, instructors win, costs us a little more money but in the end, we win too. Can't beat that!
First of all - let me start by saying that my ideas here are based on my experiences as a consultant in multiple different industries. Please feel free to use these ideas - but they do not constitute direct personal advice. Each person's business is unique - and these approaches may or may not suite....

Having said that - quality and income do not need to be mutually exclusive. I do, however, have a bit of a problem with hourly rates.... If you pay somebody by the hour - they have no vested interest in what exactly it is that they do during that hour - as they get paid regardless. This type of pay system works well if you have good staff that take personal pride in their jobs. If you don't - you will go broke very quickly (or at least lose money....). This system puts the power into the hands of the employee - as they can chose what behaviour they will exhibit.

There is a saying in corporate world that goes something like this: "If you want to understand why an executive behaves the way he does - have a look at his scorecard". In other words - what key achievables are in his contract that are linked to money. These drive the way most people behave. This is no different in a small business (to an extent, but for the most part).

First thing I would do would be to create what is known as a balanced score card or the business, and link that through to each employee's individual performance scorecard. It's called different things in different companies - but the underlying principals are the same.....You start by listing down what you want from that employee in their day to day role. How do you want them to conduct themselves? What does an ideal employee look like? Once you have the actions / traits / behavours spelled out - you start assigning dollar figures against each.... This assumes you have a general business direction mapped out, and are working towards some sort of goal in the first place. You populate your balanced scorecard with your business goals, and then link those through to individual tasks / duties that each employee is assigned.....

I hate to say it - but we all behave in a manner that maximises our personal benefit. If you think about it - we really do...... Therefore, if you want your employees to act a certain way - remunerate them accordingly. Some call it manipulation - large corporations simply call it HR :). This will give you some background on what a balanced score card is:

Balanced scorecard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can be as simple as a one page excel spreadsheet, with key deliverables on it. I would attach an example, but I cannot seem to be able to post attachments to this thread....

This is also sill very much in-line with my previous discussion on remuneration. The two are not mutually exclusive - except now we are talking about base pay as opposed to bonuses and extra's.

Some more reading on the topic:
Balanced Scorecard

Giving an example is difficult without being able to attach documents to his thread - but I hope that this helps in some way.......

Last edited:
We certainly don't consider it as "putting the power in the hands of the employees" but rather we view it as "empowerment". If you have quality staff that you truly trust, then there is no need to manipulate - they do and will take great pride in their work and the quality of the product they deliver, i.e. diver training. This is key to growing a healthy, successful business that will endure through good times and not-so-good times.

We certainly don't consider it as "putting the power in the hands of the employees" but rather we view it as "empowerment". If you have quality staff that you truly trust, then there is no need to manipulate - they do and will take great pride in their work and the quality of the product they deliver, i.e. diver training. This is key to growing a healthy, successful business that will endure through good times and not-so-good times.
I congratulate you on running a successful business. Your approach has clearly worked well for you - and that is indeed an excellent thing. Others, however, find difficulties with some of these approaches / ideas - for various reasons (eg geography, quality of client base, quality of staff available etc). My comments and approach are more of a generic nature and are not aimed at your business directly in any way :) My intention is to get anybody who reads this board thinking a little more broadly about their approach to business overall..... I do agree with your comments though - your employees are your business. Without good staff you will get nowhere :)

Wow, there's some awesome information here now! I think the balanced scorecard approach will work really well for some businesses (ours included), yet I'm still of the mindset that its important to have the right staff for your dive business.

I've seen it a few times in businesses outside the diving industry where employers have hired based purely on the skills of a person, and have then gone on to be unable to work with them as their personalities (or other traits) clash. So bringing this back to compensating an instructor, it's important to work with those that fit your business well, rather than those that will work on the cheap or for a specific budget.

As with everything, if you work out the best compensation model for your dive shop and find the right instructors that suit your proposed model, & provide an open dialogue, then you'll find the right staff for you.

As Going Down has been saying, not every compensation model is for every instructor or dive shop. Maybe try a few out, and if you're an instructor, take the initiative and put a plan together that you feel will work best for you, then approach your dive shop employer or manager and begin a dialogue around it.

Without open discussion, you'll be trying to read someone else's representation of the world and more often than not, you won't quite end up where you wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom