Instructor certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J'm glad to see age is not a factor .I'm 49 goin' on 50 and have just started my journey ,hoping to teach part time/ Right now I'm a Personal Trainer p/t so physically its not that big of a jump. Just a lil' bit more of a learning curve, but I love soaking up so much from more experienced divers and would love to be able to impart a little wisdom ad experience of my own..Just gotta keep on diving and lovin' every minute.

Way to go :wink: I just wanted to add that I work with three dive professionals - two instructors and one dive master - who are over 50 and I gotta tell you, these guys are awesome! Truly some of the best instructors I've ever had the privilege of working with. Professional, experienced, wise but also very receptive to learning and always willing to share what they know. Good luck on your journey!

You are never to old to dive......If the medical is all good GOT FOR IT....
I was 46 when I finished my IE, and although I have found it hard to find employment as an instructor, I did find it easy when to find a position as a chef/diver.

On the negative side, be warned some professionals (and I use the term loosely) in this industry prefer to employ younger tanned warrior types, but mainly in the tourist/backpacker areas.

My mother is about to turn 76 and in March I will be taking her for an Intro dive.
POWER TO YOU

On the negative side, be warned some professionals (and I use the term loosely) in this industry prefer to employ younger tanned warrior types, but mainly in the tourist/backpacker areas.

Too true on this one. The dive manager who used to work for our dive shop was against hiring a particular instructor because of his age. Surprisingly, his rationale wasn't that the instructor wouldn't be up to the physical strains of being an active instructor but rather, he was concerned that the instructor would be too wise and experienced. He wanted a newbie who could be trained (aka brainwashed) the way he thought was best.

So he passed on the guy, who ended up going to work for another company and doing an awesome job for them. It only took a week or two of seeing this instructor in action before I clearly saw the mistake we made in not hiring him. Then, it took our company three years of wooing to finally get him back. The dive manager who was afraid of hiring someone with more experience than him is no longer with us, BTW. :wink:

I'm looking at getting my instructor certification. I'm 54 and I have all the necessary certifications except for rescue and dive master, which I plan to do this year. I was wondering if I'm to old, what the opportunites are for employment etc. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

You'll need DiveCon first, which is a great class and I'd take it again in a heartbeat. However if you're looking for money, you're probably looking in the wrong place. All the instructors I know are either retired and teach for fun or have a regular job and teach for fun.

Unless you live in a high-traffic area with a ton of students, it's unlikely you could make a living at it.

Terry

...Unless you live in a high-traffic area with a ton of students, it's unlikely you could make a living at it.

Terry

Ain't that the truth! To see them actually advertising gender and age specific is unreal! And it doesn't seem to matter what agency. I guess "life experience" doesn't count for much these days, even if we can keep up with the younger ones physically and mentally! I'm 42, DM certified and wanting to gain experience and go to instructor - either PADI or SSI - I can get into the IDC programs no problem, but can't get anyone to give me a chance as a DM/DiveCon even if I pay my way there! And I'm a lot more likely to stay than a "young, warrior type" who's intent is more to pay his/her way around the world than give good service to his/her employer.

Have you looked at resort/vacation areas? A lot of dive shop owners I talk with would be glad to go w/a more experienced, reliable and long-term employee than the other kind. Of course, there are those like I mentioned in my previous post who want to go w/a younger newbie who might not know better, might not be adept at standing up for themselves, and are more easily "brainwashed." In that case, you wouldn't want to work there any way!

Thanks aascubagirl! I have been looking around, trying to locate that exact kind of shop! If you know of any, feel free to PM me or pass me on to them with my undying gratitude! I just finished writing a whole blog on this subject, but haven't posted it yet. I do believe we more 'mature' folk have a lot to offer, especially when it comes to safety and life's experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom