Instructions for Heinrichs-Weikamp Optical Digital Adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backscatter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Following the recommendations from another thread, I ordered a Heinrichs-Weikamp Optical Digital Adapter (for Nikonos Sync Cords) from Reef Photo to go with a YS-60 I ordered through the clearance sale at Sea & Sea. This is to use with my Canon A620.

I'm still waiting for the strobe to show up, but I received the HW adapter today. It was packaged inside a plastic anti-static bag, along with a (both parts) one inch square piece of velcro - the plastic, translucent type, and a silver rod magnet (about 3/16 inch diameter by one inch long). No instructions or other documentation. I have a couple questions:

- How do you use it? I mean, I know that you screw it onto the cord from the stobe (Should you use any type of sealant on the threads?), but beyond that what is the process? Just use the camera as normal?

- It looks like it is intended for you to use the velcro on the head of the HW adapter and on the housing to position the adapter over the internal flash, and that the adapter is sensitive enough to pick up the flash through the translucent velcro.

- If I understand things correctly, the adapter basically fires the strobe when the internal flash goes off and shuts down the strobe as soon as the internal flash is off, thereby syncing the external strobe with what the camera thinks is the appropriate duration of flash. Any adjustment in intensity would be accomplished by going to half-power and/or using the diffuser. Is this basically correct?

- What is the magnet for?

- Does anyone know of any instructions available from HW, the net, or anywhere else?

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction,

bobf, thanks for the links, I had been to the HW site, but missed the pdf.link for the manual. Is answered a lot of my questions, although it is a manual for the "Digital Adapter 2" versus mine which is just labeled "Digital Adapter". Their product introduction page just describes the product as the "Digital Adapter" as well. The manual makes reference to an earlier version, which may be the one I have.

At least now I know what the magnet is for, and to just use silicon grease on the o ring.

Scanning the HW site further, I see that I do in fact have the Digital Adapter 2, it's just not labeled as such. The original design is much larger and more of a tube shape. It, and the new version, can be seen mounted on various camera housings in the HW user gallery:

HeinrichsWeikamp GbR

So, it looks like it's pretty much plug and play, with options to fiddle with the settings once I have a deeper understanding of what I'm doing. Cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom