Instructing in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion, similar to above, you need to get in some dives and experience before even thinking about the IDC. Come over (Tao, or wherever), and look for some freelance DM work. It's not easy, but I wouldn't say it's out of the question either.

If you work around a few shops, you'll start to make contacts and get an idea about where you'd fit in best for the IDC. I think you should spend a few months or something like this to really get a feel for it. IDCs on Tao range from big to very small, and all of them, if they catch a whiff of your money, will offer you all kinds of promises. Actually doing some work with them (even if you are paid minimum or nothing) will give you a better perspective.

Also, the big IDC centers (BV, Bans, Crystal, Asia) constantly do DMT lectures and skill circuits. By letting them know you're interested in shopping around, you are very likely to get invited to sit in on academic lectures, pool training, and maybe even ocean work. I think this would benefit you in two obvious ways. Honing your skills and peering behind the curtain.

Just my opinion.

Give me a shout (PM) if you end up on Tao. I would be happy to introduce you to people I think are the real deal.

What happened to my post?

GRRRRRR

As I WAS saying.

I think some very good points have been made about getting some more experience before you even THINK about the IDC. Have you had the chance to work as a DM yet? That's a great way to prepare yourself for similar problems you'll face down the road.

I don't agree that it's hard to find work right now, but that's such a subjective view on my point, I'm not arguing.

In my opinion, you should come to Tao (or wherever) and do some freelance work for a few months as a DM. It will give you a chance to hone your skills and get to know people/shops. The shops here range from super small and cheap to machine to high end resort. I'd get a taste of as many as you can first off.

Secondly, the big IDC centers (BV, Crystal, Bans, Asia) tend to be more than accommodating when you tell them you're shopping around. Most likely, you'll be invited to DMT lectures, pool sessions/skill circuits, and maybe even some ocean work. Little chance of pay in this case, but getting free education and practice is worth it as long as you've got cash saved up.

The benefits of shopping around are the same as above, more experience and a chance to peek behind the curtain.

Just my thoughts.

If you do end up on Tao, PM me, and I'd be happy to introduce you to some of the real deal Course Directors.

Good luck deciding,

:bash:
damn computer.
Well.... at least I didn't contradict myself.

I hope

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom