Instructing ERDI and the Open Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERDI Instructors can teach basic Police diving at various levels based on your teaching levels and specialties. To teach basic O/W under their banner you probably need to be an SDI instructor as well as that is where their OW certs come from. I'm not even sure you can become an ERDI instructor without some sort of OW Instructor level rating to begin with

Perhaps the best answer would come from posting this question under the SDI folder of the Q&A FOR SCUBA CERT AGENCIES section

You need to be an SDI OW instructor in order to have the ERDI instructor rating.

Oh by the way, welcome to ScubaBoard!

So if you are a PADI or a NAUI instructor you can't become an ERDi Instsrtuctor? As a PADI instructor what are my best options for becoming a public safety instructor?

Hi Leap

Being on a PSD team is the first step - your profile doesn't say that you are which is why its the only reason I mention it. Its hard to talk the talk if you don't walk the walk

Next, usually have to have taken the course you're going to teach (sometimes multiple times) - again some PSD agencies won't even let you take the course if you're not on a PSD team.

Lastly, most PSD agencies have their own ITC program or crossover process that you have to do (just like rebadging from any of the rec agencies). I'm not positive about ERDI but the main agencies LGS & DRI do. The LGS ITC is 10 days and if you're a rec instructor I believe you save 1-2 days but you need DM or AI to get into that one at minimum same as a rec ITC

The reason is that the skill set is quite foreign to OW type training as I'm sure you know

hope that helps

mark

Ok, if you want to teach public safety, you first have to have at least 75 dives with a public safety dive team. These can be from calls or training, but 75 is the minimum. Next you have to have taken ERd1 ERD2, and supervisor for both. You will also either need to become an SDI instructor, or crossover to an SDI instructor. Not a bad idea for instructors due to the fact you also get your Solo diver Instructor....Not everyone should dive solo, but the knowledge you learn is great for every diver.....so teach it.... After having your SDI cert, and meeting all the criteria(more than I listed obviously, but those are the main) you can then crossover as and ERDI Instructor.

PADI has no such program in place, they have Distinctive Specialties, which some states, Like Mine..will not recognize.

Training of Public safety dive teams is not just another thing to teach, it requires alot more time, effort, and knowledge....this isnt for every instructor and not something all should consider.

Please feel free to ask anymore questions and I will answer as best I can :D

The crossover process is pretty painless as long as you can document the required experience.

Yep...its $400 to SDI/TDI/ERDI and then whatever your crossover Instructor Trainer Charges...

You still have to do all the swims and everything from going thru the ERDI class too :D Really fun!

We do those as our annual quals anyhow so not a big deal. :D

Back
Top Bottom