Instruct in Thailand or Cayman Islands??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canuck_downunder05

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Eeeek, I'm looking to travel and instruct overseas, however I'm left with the decision of moving to Thailand where I enjoyed previous diving there, see opportunity to instruct, and eat amazing Thai food. Or I can go to Grand Cayman, where I have never been and only read varous articles on (and it looks stunning) and try to find work there...

either way it appears I'll be arriving flindfolded looking for a job. any suggestions or tips. pro's or cons?

Thanks a bunch!

look into visa req's....The Caymans take at least 5 weeks. Get a job before you hit shore. Organize somewhere to sleep! (even a hostel). HAVE FUN!

J

Working legally in Thailand can be quite costly and difficult. And the rules and costs of obtaining a permit are not the same in all areas of the country. In Pattaya, for example, you'd basically need to set up your own company and issue a work permi through it, which costs about $1,800 and can take 2 months plus. In Phuket, employers can arrange one for you, but it's more limited in its use. I beleive you can, however, pay off the permit weekly. Someone from down there can better fill in the details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom