Installing the 8" Dome Port in housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glfmkg

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I just got my new Ikelite housing for my Nikon D300s. I also got a 8" dome port and #5510.11 Superwide Port Body.

After reading the instructions I still have some questions:

The instructions say:

Unlike other Ikelite ports, the #5510.11 Superwide Body installs on the housing in a bayonet fashion.....

then...

The port body has a divot on its face to aid in alignment when attaching the dome port to your housing. See drawing on the front page. When looking at the front of the housing, align this divot with the top left (10 o'clock position) port lock. In this position the cut-outs on the port body will align with the port locks on the housing.

Press down on the port firmly and evenly until you feel the port slide into place. Continue to push down and rotate the port clockwise until it stops. The port will only rotate approximately 60 degrees to stop. Do not force the port to rotate beyond this point.

My questions:

After rotating the dome 60 degrees and installing the locking bracket at 3 o'clock I can still move the dome counter-clockwise a few degrees back. Is this normal? or should the port be completely secured and not move either way?

If the above questions is normal; is the purpose of the locking bracket to stop the dome rotating back to the 10 o'clock position so it can not be removed accidentally underwater? What would happen if you accidentally move the dome a bit under water?

This is my first Ikelite housing; so sorry if these are very basic questions. It just look to easy that the port mounts in the housing like a lens in my camera. Could you confirm that I'm doing this correctly?

Thanks,
Guillermo

Ikelite should answer this, but since they are busy....

With the locking bracket installed the dome port cannot fall off. I believe a small amount of rotation is normal and should not happen in normal use underwater anyway. Even if it does, the O-ring blocks the pressure.

slowhands is correct. With the lock in place, it will still rotate some, but not enough to allow the port to meet up with the port lock openings.
Karl
Ikelite repair dept.

Guillermo,

Slowhands and Karl are correct. Once correctly installed, the locking device will contact the side of a port lock in the event of slight inadvertent port rotation. This prevents accidental port removal.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom