Installing other model of 2nd stage to Mares's DFC port.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotipisang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm using Mares MR-12 1st stage and Axis Pro as the 2nd stage. Lately I saw a very nice Atomic 2nd stage selling for quite a lower price than its usually do. Before I spend my money on it, I'm wondering if it'd work nicely with my Mares 1st stage.

Mares is using the DFC (Diaphragm Flow Control) system where it will sort of automatically control the breathing flow at depth. The port for 2nd stage is labeled as DFC.

I'm wondering, whether the DFC would still work if I install other model of 2nd stage regulator. Logically it should work, but I'm a bit concerned if I'd to find that out otherwise at 28m deep.

Has anyone mix & match Mares 1st stage regulator with other model using the DFC port?

Thanks.

rotipisang:
Hi,

I'm using Mares MR-12 1st stage and Axis Pro as the 2nd stage. Lately I saw a very nice Atomic 2nd stage selling for quite a lower price than its usually do. Before I spend my money on it, I'm wondering if it'd work nicely with my Mares 1st stage.

There should be no issues generated by the DFC port. These ports just have a higher flow and more direct access to the valve seat than the other ports. In essence the DFC port should experience less of a IP drop. Most quality first stages use this technique under different names. As long as the operating IP of the second stage and first stage match, your in good shape.

I have use the MR-12 with several second stages without issue.

V.

what is wrong with the mares second stage??

and would you put a ford transmission is a landrover and expect the same performance?

My advice would be dont mix and match if you can help it..

cancun mark:

and would you put a ford transmission is a landrover and expect the same performance?

Interesting analogy.

Mares 2nd stages tend to be a bit on the basic side - no external adjustment or internal balancing. That's not to say there's anything wrong with that - a Mares tech explained it to me once that the other makes need all the extras on their 1sts to cope with the less stable IPs of their 2nds, and that Mares can get away with a very basic 2nd stage because they have such a good 1st.

But I'm digressing. Re your main point, I haven't put a ford I'm stupid in a landrover but from everything I've heard it would be a blessing. I did put a Volvo I'm stupid in an MGTD and it was a MAJOR improvement. Didn't eat a cluster gear every 300 miles, and added an overdrive.

cancun mark:

Thanks for the replies, good to know that.

About my 2nd stage, like oxyhacker said - the design is a bit on the basic side. the reg would adjust it automatically, I know Mares designed it that way; that's what the DFC are for. But I'm a bit uncomfortable not having the manual override control should there's a need to.

Besides, the 2nd stage is badly scratched and the nice looking Atomic 2nd stage reg is on sale right now :)

rotipisang:
Thanks for the replies, good to know that.

About my 2nd stage, like oxyhacker said - the design is a bit on the basic side. the reg would adjust it automatically, I know Mares designed it that way; that's what the DFC are for. But I'm a bit uncomfortable not having the manual override control should there's a need to.

Besides, the 2nd stage is badly scratched and the nice looking Atomic 2nd stage reg is on sale right now :)

Again, the DFC does not adjust to the second stage. It is more like having the closest fire hydrant to the main, it does not drop in pressure under use.

Manual control on the second stage is not like comparing a manual transmission to an automatic. Its more like having adjustments on your windshield wipers. You can play with them forever, and still not have it exactly right, or you can set them once, and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom