Installing Inflater Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W3tWilly

Registered
Reaction score
The diving drysuit I have does not have an inflater valve or the opening for an inflater valve. I am been unable to locate a guide online for how to properly cut the hole and install a valve. Does anyone know of a good guide for this?

The suit is a DUI TLS. Do I need to put something in between the trilam fabric and the valve or will a valve come with a gasket or o-ring for this purpose already?

And aside from totally messing up my drysuit is there any things I have to pay special attention to?

How can a drysuit NOT have an inflator?unless it was not made for diving.
Only drysuits I know of,having no inflator are made for sailing/boating,and commercial suits with a constant volume collar.To be used with fixed helmets.

Yes, well aware that normally there would be an inflater valve or at least the hole were one would go. I have had this same discussion with a few LDS and with DUI themselves. No, LDS will touch it. And DUI wants to charge me more then I can afford as a poor college student, so I have to resort to doing it myself. Any advice on how to go about doing it would be appreciated.

Well for starters,you have to punche a hole fitting the inflator you're going to get.
Second you have to glue on some kind of rubber gasket on the outside of the suit.
the rest would be quite simple,put in the inflator,place the nylon O-ring and fix the screw on cap.
But I still don't understand why there is no hole present yet.

Do inflater valves come with the rubber gasket or would I have to make/ purchase one of those as well?

also need to install a exhaust valve.....

No they do not come with the inflator(since it already be on the suit)
Problem with DIY is that the rubber gasket has to have a kind of ring witch fits in the hole and thus sealing on the inside aswell.

I had a camo military combat swimmer drysuit with no exhaust valve or inflator. I am not 100 % sure but I think it was a DUI. There was an oral inflator located near the wrist to add air if needed. It was similar to an oral inflator tube found on a snorkeling vest or Mae West PFD. I added an inflator valve to it on the thigh, and a pressure relief valve on the upper arm. I reinforced the area where I cut the holes with a hypalon patch. It worked pretty well but was not very rugged as the material was fairly thin. There are any number of drysuits out there not specifically designed for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom