Installing Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBFG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Guys,
this will sound like a basic basic question.
how do you install the hoses on the 1st stage.
do you just screw them in? Do you need to lube them? what about O ring?

thanx!

Use the O ring that comes on the hose. No need for (and some negatives to) using lube on them.

Just screw the hoses in to finger tight and just a touch more with a wrench.

awesome

thanx

be careful not to over-tighten... the seal comes thanks to the o-ring. Cinching them down too hard can cause them to extrude.

+1

About 30-45 in-lb is your target. INCH pounds.

+1

About 30-45 in-lb is your target. INCH pounds.

And if you don't have a small torque wrench, that's "just a touch" past finger tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes, lubing an O-ring can cause gunk to collect on the o-ring and cause a failure. Also, some kinds of o-rings are more likely to herniate if lubricated. The only o-rings that actually need lube are ones that move.

Lubricant is not needed. The instructions about "finger tight and a touch" are spot on. The threads are relatively soft brass and easily damaged which can ruin either the hose or possibly the first stage. Run them in by hand, snug them with a wrench. No need to break out sweat or have eyes bulging and forearms flexing.

Most people do not have crows feet heads and torque wrenches that operate at these low numbers, I however do, the torque provided by one poster is good. BTW, when using an extension, mount the extension at 90 degrees to the wrench and the torque can be directly read, otherwise you have to calculate a correction.

N

Back
Top Bottom