Question Insta360 Ace Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I'm just fun diving / lobster hunting / doing deco dives on deeper wrecks where I don't want to bring lights, I'll bring the Ace Pro clipped on with a bungeed boltsnap. It does a respectable job with no video lights, even down past 150'. Stable video, good low light resolution, and the colors are surprisingly well balanced for the depth.
That sounds great that the Ace Pro performs well without lights. When you aren't using lights, how are you carrying the camera...selfie stick/in your hand? Does that mess with video stability at all?

That sounds great that the Ace Pro performs well without lights. When you aren't using lights, how are you carrying the camera...selfie stick/in your hand? Does that mess with video stability at all?

Just hand carrying. I sometimes use a pistol-grip style handle with a cam mount on one end and a ball on the other for a light, but the principle is the same. The new cams have good features to smooth out shake, but the biggest factor is being intentionally still. I used to shoot a lot of outside video for skydiving (tandems, AFF, etc.), so I got used to locking my head onto a target and moving my body to keep the shot framed in a variety of orientations with smooth transitions.

This is one of the reasons you'll see a lot of folks recommending getting the basics down fully before using a camera. Body motions need to be in autopilot mode to get smooth video and frame shots well. Not having this foundation typically results in crappy footage and/or inattention to dive basics. On the upside, it's usually entertaining for everyone else on the dive. :)

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom