Inspiration Reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
That picture s from the UAE incident.
Cause undetermined, so it's not necessarily a YBOD fault.
I've been on four boards from three countries and lurk on two more
as well as on the RB list and don't recall three other torch jobs.
Mind elaborating a bit?

Whein completing my Inspo TDI CCR training in Sharm, with TekStreme. Good bunch actually, we went through the O2 drill. They had clocked 4 incidents amongst the Dive Centres in Sharm, one of the guys I actually met on the training dives. He had just bought one second hand and it caught fire soon after. Funny thing was the first person to abandon ship was the captain of the boat.

When I related this story to the shop I bought the Unit from, they told me about some issue with the Apex valves on the older units, having some sort of material on the metal which over time disintegrated, adn reacted with the O2.

I then wrote and email to ApValves and got a letter saying that it was user error, I dont know about you but it seems unusualy to have so many of these incidents, in the same environment, all user error, some of which by experienced instructors!

You may be on lots of forums, but you must have missed the post on this on www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk about it!

Actually YD is one of the two boards I lurk on. :wink:
But I did miss those incident reports.
Then again, I don't particulary look out for YBOD posts as I believe
the units leave much to be desired. Just not my thing.

Am not sure about the Apeks regs as I don't know them well enough.
I can tell you however that what has to be the US' largest retailer of APD
is here in SoCal and they move rigs like you wouldn't believe.
They never had an O2 fire that I'm aware of. And YBODs aren't the first
units in use there, IIRC those were UT240s.

As an ANDI shop they're absolutely anal about gas standards (not just O2)
so I wonder if proper maintainance doesn't play a role. Which may well include
changing parts within the regs and would be user/maintainance error.

There was case of a guy called Bill T from cardiff, wales. His Box caught fire this year and he had $2500 of damage luckily covered by insurance. The NDAC (NDC) in the UK has the photos on their toilet walls, i'll see if i can get copies and post them

Paul

Back
Top Bottom