Insect repellent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveAnyone

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are heading to Playa Del Carmen in August (our first trip), and looking for advice on insect repellents? Anyone who has traveled to this area, I could use some insight. There are so many brands, and ingredients (i.e. Deet of various strengths, Picrodin(sp), herbal mixes, etc.). How safe is Deet? REI carries a number of variations. Their suggestion was "jungle Juice" at 98% deet (but don't let it come in contact with synthetic materials). All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
confused.gif

Deet works great, and is probably one of the most toxic substances I've ever had near my skin. I applied it to my clothes one time, and it melted the handle of my swiss army knife through the pocket of my jeans. Seven years later, you can still see the impression of the fabric on the knife.

When I was in Kenya for a while, I pre-treated my clothes with Permethrin (sp?), which is an insect repellant that stays active for two weeks or two washings, which ever comes first. I think I only got one mosquito bite in 10 days. I recommend looking into that stuff.

Deet,....not to bad....only side affect is growing that 3rd eye- right in the middle,....hey better than it taking one & leaving you with no backup......(If you need some, use it...it's OK(safe).......)

Even harder is fitting a mask for that third eye!!

MSilvia:
Deet works great, and is probably one of the most toxic substances I've ever had near my skin. I applied it to my clothes one time, and it melted the handle of my swiss army knife through the pocket of my jeans. Seven years later, you can still see the impression of the fabric on the knife.

When I was in Kenya for a while, I pre-treated my clothes with Permethrin (sp?), which is an insect repellant that stays active for two weeks or two washings, which ever comes first. I think I only got one mosquito bite in 10 days. I recommend looking into that stuff.

Wow, right through the jeans. They did suggest not applying to clothes. With the heat I am more concerned with my exposed skin. The good news, we'll be diving most of the time, it's getting to the Cenotes with out getting bit.

For those who have been to Playa, are the insects more active at dusk, or just all the time (August)?

The Permethrin seemed to do a good job of keeping bugs away in general, and I didn't use any direct skin application repellants while I was there. I suspect the presence of it is enough to make you wholly unappealing, even though it seems odorless to people.

MSilvia:
The Permethrin seemed to do a good job of keeping bugs away in general, and I didn't use any direct skin application repellants while I was there. I suspect the presence of it is enough to make you wholly unappealing, even though it seems odorless to people.

Did you wear shorts/t-shirts, or long pants/long sleeves? If this will work with shorts/t-shirts pre-treated, that would be great.

THANKS

We have been using a product called Cactus Juice. It works great for mosquitos and sand flies. They have both a spray and a lotion with sun protection. Best of all it is not dangerous like deet.

http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

Good luck!

The hand is also good for an insect repellent. :)

You will get mosquitos and othe biters in the jungle around cenotes, but please keep in mind that this is a very sensative ecosystem... many guides will actually ask you NOT to use any chemical repellants or sunscreens. The Yucatan is like swiss cheese. Everything that goes into the cenote and the ground water for that matter, has few filters before it makes its way out to the reef. If you knew what they used to look like even just 5yrs ago compared to today, it would break your heart. 30% hurricane/climate and 70% human related...

I'm a bug magnet and get nasty reactions to bites. I've used Skedattle for the past few years in Mexico, Hawaii, and elsewhere and it's worked well for me. It's an all-natural, biodegradable product. The Mexitan sunscreens are also 100% safe and any of the eco-parks or marine reserves will allow you to use them. www.mexitan.com

Products that are biodegradable and eco-friendly don't contain emulsifiers, dye or fragrances. The lotions take a bit of effort to apply and you won't smell like a fruit salad or a pina colada, but you also won't be leaving anything behind in the water that damages the reefs or messes with the cenotes.

Back
Top Bottom