InReach diving activations are statistically zero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I thought this was interesting and expected to see at least a few diving related activations. Perhaps they are logged as "boating" related?

I wonder if they automatically classify anything on the water as boating or if it could be under other. If they gave from each of those sections the cause for calling SOS, it would help differentiate. While there are some boating injury accidents, my guess is that boaters more often call for help due to engine failure than actual injuries.

There is a boating/watersports category separate from boating that most likely includes diving.

A few possible explanations for the paucity of diving situations:

1. The data includes InReach calls going back to 2011. For most of that time period, the waterproof case that enables me to carry the InReach on my dives wasn’t available, so even diving related emergency calls would have originated on boats.

2. Most boat dives occur in areas within either cell phone or VHF coverage, both of which can provide immediate contact with local first responders, so the InReach may not be the communication means of choice for,distress situations on the water..

3. People are land-based mammals. It’s a lot cheaper and more convenient to get in a car or out on a trail than it is to get out on or under the water. A lot more people hike than dive.

4. The divers who are most likely to carry an InReach may be more experienced and more safety conscious than the overall recreational diving population, which itself has a pretty good safety record.

5. It’s easier to get lost hiking than boating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom