Inquest into the death of Philip Andrew Gray - Death 9 February 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a number of recommendations to use mouthpiece retaining straps as a means of keeping the mouthpiece in if the diver loses consciousness (either hypoxia or hyperoxia). They won't necessarily help save their life directly, but more likely to keep the diver with life-supporting gas until they are rescued. (Assumes that your buddy is nearby to help you...)

Google 'mouthpiece retaining straps' or 'gag straps' and 'CCR' to get some links.

Regards

There is a least one option for a full-face mask with a rebreather pod. This would keep you from immediately drowning after an oxygen toxicity hit, though if you don't have someone else with you to help I'm not sure how it would work out. My understanding is that you will normally recover from the initial convulsion even if you remain in the high O2 atmosphere and have some time before you get hit again, but I'm not sure how oriented and aware people are in that period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom