Input on Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimnut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be taking a cruise to the southern caribbean on Dec 6 - 13 and plan on arranging my diving around my non-diving wife, mother and sisters needs - which are beach, some snorkeling and shopping. Can I get some comments on the following:

St. Thomas Dive Club - Bolongo Bay, Saint Thomas

Neptune Dive Shop - Orient Beach, St Maarten

Jolly Dive - Jolly Harbour, Antigua

Scuba St. Lucia - Anse Chastanet, St. Lucia

Barbados Blue - Carlisle bay, Barbados

One side question for those of you that have been to Orient Beach, Saint Maarten - Not everyone adheres to the clothing optional reputation, do they? Remember I said mom and sisters will be with me!

For St. Thomas, I'd highly recommend http://admiraltydive.com. They'll pick you up and drop you off at the cruise ship dock, they have the best customer service of any dive shop you could ever go to, , and they have a great variety of sites. You will not regret diving with them!

I have not heard anything about neptune dive shop on St. Maarten. However, I would highly recommend Ocean Explorers in Simpson Bay. Haven dived with them the owners Luciana and Jefferson run imho the best dive shop in St. Maarten. Jefferson will take you to the best sites and the shop is very environmentally aware and have excellent service. they will also work with you on the type of diving you want to do and with your schedule.

only the right side of the beach is completely nude, the rest of the beach is not, allthough some nudies will stray over to the none colthing-optional areas. i would not reccomend the dive ops. on the beach though.

Thanks for the replies,
Tadzio - have you heard of a Dive op named Scuba Fun which is located very close to the cruise ship dock? One more question, since I see that you are a resident, where would I go for some snorkeling from the shore? One of the travel books recommends Dawn beach or Orient beach.

Hello,

I would not recommend scubafun because of thier diving practices (safety, ethics, environmental etc.) and they usually dive a cramped boat (cattle diving). I would seriously consider Ocean Explorers; they may be able to pick you up from the boat or arrange to pick you up at the cruise dock. With regards to snorkelling, there are very few places still left to go snorkeling: Green Key, Pinel island, Little Bay, Cay Bay, and Creole Rock come to mind. Creaole Rock is the nicest but i think Little Bay or Cay be may be the best choices. It may be possible to ask your dive operator to go to a site where you can both dive and snorkel. PM me if you need any more info.
Have a great cruise and good diving.
Tadzio

Hi Scubanut!

<disclaimer, I am an employee so consider my opinion extremely biased>

I work for St. Thomas Diving Club and we can offer van pick-up at the dock to transport you here to the shop and your non-diving companions can go out on the boat and snorkel or stay here and hang out on the beach and snorkel. You'll have to go back near the cruise ship pier for the best shopping.

Duane and Laura are great people and if you decide to dive with Admiralty you'll have a good time, but your non-divers will have to find something else to do.

Rachel

Rachel,
Already signed up with you guys before the ringing endorsement for admiralty. I'll see you on Sunday.
Glenn

Oh, hey, Glenn!! I thought the story sounded familiar!

I'm actually going to be off island while you're here, but the rest of the crew will take great care of you!

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom