Inon D2000 optical cable with Oly 5060

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Olympus 5060 doubles as both an underwater and a land camera, and I use it in an Oly PT-020 housing when wet. I just bought the Inon D2000 strobe, and with the optical cable, Inon supplies a few pieces of the shaded material that covers up the camera's internal flash, a few pieces of clear material that goes over that to protect it, and three little "frames" that stick to the camera and hold the material in place.

So, it seems a little nuts to me that everytime I want to change between environments, I have to peel this sticky assembly off or put it back on. Soon enough, the three supplied sticky frames will be worn out, and then what? Scotch tape? This just seems kind of archaic.

So here's the question: Has anyone out there devised a better way to mount the "clear photo system" materials? Could they be mounted on the housing instead of the camera, perhaps where the diffuser goes? And if they were, would light from the internal flash "leak out" the top or sides and screw up my pictures? And since the Inon-supplied material is really tiny (just big enough to cover up the rectangular flash on the camera), what can I use in lieu of this material that will do exactly the same thing. The diffuser is quite a bit larger of an area to cover up than the camera's internal flash.

Advice for the camera-challenged much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

scubacalifornia:
My Olympus 5060 doubles as both an underwater and a land camera, and I use it in an Oly PT-020 housing when wet. I just bought the Inon D2000 strobe, and with the optical cable, Inon supplies a few pieces of the shaded material that covers up the camera's internal flash, a few pieces of clear material that goes over that to protect it, and three little "frames" that stick to the camera and hold the material in place.

So, it seems a little nuts to me that everytime I want to change between environments, I have to peel this sticky assembly off or put it back on. Soon enough, the three supplied sticky frames will be worn out, and then what? Scotch tape? This just seems kind of archaic.

So here's the question: Has anyone out there devised a better way to mount the "clear photo system" materials? Could they be mounted on the housing instead of the camera, perhaps where the diffuser goes? And if they were, would light from the internal flash "leak out" the top or sides and screw up my pictures? And since the Inon-supplied material is really tiny (just big enough to cover up the rectangular flash on the camera), what can I use in lieu of this material that will do exactly the same thing. The diffuser is quite a bit larger of an area to cover up than the camera's internal flash.

Advice for the camera-challenged much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Different model but I have the same situation. Olympus housing and Inon flash.

I've been using the same sticky for 2 years I guess. It doesn't seem to wear out. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain when you want to use the flash above water. I did use electrical tape one time when I realized I'd left the film strip and stickies at home.

I have seen people in another forum using a thin piece of black plastic material place in between the housing and the diffuser for the exact concern you have. Of course, it's a DIY project.

There were several pictures related to the setup but I have forgotten which web site. I would say there are more than one way to achieve the same goal, but more or less, the mask for the internal light would be in between the housing and the diffuser, so that you can remove it easily in order to use the internal flash again. If you have anything to hold the diffuser at the camera, it can be the same way to hold the mask, e.g. there are some clips available to hold the optical connector etc. and this is only one of the way. Also, different cameras have different ways to hold the diffuser, some of them you can just clip on, some of them you have to cut a piece of mask and stick into the diffuser holder.

Reminder: Please make sure that the mask won't fly way after you remove it from the holder.

For my case, I am also using Inon lens. There is a white diffuser similar to the black mask given for your light. I am using a DIY instead of the Inon diffuser.

The “sticky frames” will last a long time.
Just peel off and temporarily stick to another part of your camera when you need to use the camera’s internal strobe for land shooting.
Various DIY methods mentioned here would work too, as long as they cover enough of the housing to eliminate backscatter potential.
-Mark Rupert
Inon America, Inc.

On my 5050/PT15 I cut a thin piece of black plastic in the shape of the housing diffuser. I attach it to the outside of the diffuser with a plastic tiewrap. Works well is beats using the clear photo system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom