Inland Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Great Lakes are the obvious choice but thats one hell of a drive from WV... You could try Dutch Springs, its a rock quarry in Bethlehem PA where they sink different things on purpose. Pretty tame compared to the Great Lakes and NC but its worth a visit if you are in the area. Lots of shops around here use it as a place to train their students. I think there are also some quarries or lakes in your area but im not positive and its very unlikely they have real wrecks. Are there any reservoirs in your area. Structures or even whole towns are often flooded when these are created, not quite a wreck but still way cool. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, best of luck!

get a copy of: "The Great Lakes Diving Guide' by Cris Kohl, and begin to dream..... I mean plan...... come visit, we are friendly folk.

I am a little late posting but I agree with the post above, Kohls book is an awesome resource. I know it is a stretch but you cannot beat the diving in the straits of mackinac, or in the Whitefish Point preserve. There are wrecks for every ability, if you want easy you have the Drake, Myron, and Eureka all in less than 60' of water, if you want a little more challenge hit the wrecks in the St Mary's river. The current in some areas is smoking fast. There is a cool site where there is a twin engine beechcraft plane. If you want advanced to tech you have the Samuel Mather, the Cowel, the Comet, or the Zillah ranging from 140' to 250'. Some of which are penetrable. A lot of which are wooden schooners that are in amazing condition. The only problem is if you are hitting up Whitefish there are not a lot of options for charters, and there are no dive shops on the US side. There is one on the Canadian side Sault Scuba Sault Scuba Online - Dive Safe! Colleen runs it. Other than that you will have to come prepared or drive south to Mackinac City or Cheboygan under the bridge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom