Initial Descent...getting down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of comments: before descending make certain that air is not trapped in wet suit. I get vertical on the surface and pull out on waist belt to release any air trapped in legs. Also a new or seldomly used wet suit needs a little convincing. And buoyancy check needs to be done with a tank that is nearly empty (500 psi) at ten or 15 feet. The air you breathe from a 80 cu.ft. tank weighs a little less than 6 lbs. In other words you need to be about 4 - 6 lbs "heavy" at the beginning of the dive to have enough weight at the end of the dive to maintain a safety stop without popping to the surface.

Don't discount the wetsuit issue. It happens more than people think.

Thank you all for your help. I think I have found the problem. My bouyancy check was done with a full tank...duh, should have known that. I will def keep in mind the wetsuit burp, although I have a custom fitted wetsuit, but hey you never know right? As far as letting all the air out of my lungs, I know I am doing that...I exhaled until it hurt, only to find my self still at the surface.
Problem solved, I need a litle bit more weight.
Thank you everyone for your help...SB is the best!

Thank you all for your help. I think I have found the problem. My bouyancy check was done with a full tank...duh, should have known that. I will def keep in mind the wetsuit burp, although I have a custom fitted wetsuit, but hey you never know right? As far as letting all the air out of my lungs, I know I am doing that...I exhaled until it hurt, only to find my self still at the surface.
Problem solved, I need a litle bit more weight.
Thank you everyone for your help...SB is the best!

That is the way "patty" teaches you to dive, but all the "real" divers I know just flip over, do a surface dive, kick down 12 feet and then begin to inhale a little. then keep kicking and don't take a full breath until you are sinking comfortably. Dumping air out of the wetsuit and other silliness is not a concern. Exhaling until it hurts is not the way to dive. This assumes that you are weighted properly.

That is the way "patty" teaches you to dive, but all the "real" divers I know just .......
Was it really necessary to make a remark about "patty" on this thread....? I don't see the relevance. However, since you have and I have an open mind, would you please be so kind as to elaborate on who you consider to be "real divers" and what qualifications one would need to be a "real diver"?:popcorn:

Was it really necessary to make a remark about "patty" on this thread....? I don't see the relevance. However, since you have and I have an open mind, would you please be so kind as to elaborate on who you consider to be "real divers" and what qualifications one would need to be a "real diver"?:popcorn:

I was only half kidding, but these videos seemed humorous to me.

YouTube - Faceplant Scuba Diving Entry

YouTube - P4210197.AVI

Alot of threads that I read in reference to bouyancy and descent deal with controlling your fast descent. My problem is a little bit different.
I have a problem with starting my descent. When I am at the surface I let all the air out of my BC, and exhale as much as I can, but I still stay at the surface. Most would say, you are not weighted down enough. When I do a bouyancy check prior to descent, it seems that I am weighted correctly, I float at eye level with my BC empty and a normal breath in my lungs.
I find my self having to start my descent in a head down, fin up configuration, stroking and finning downward until I hit about 10-12 ft. Then everything is A-ok. My bouyancy is nice and neutral and everything is really nice. Sometimes my buddy has to hold on to me to help me out.
I know that most of this problem has to do with my wetsuit compressing. I started having this problem when I started diving with a 5mm full wetsuit. It may also be because I am a skinny, tall man, although I thought only fat floated...!
I am hesitant to add more weight, just for my initial descent, because that would not help me at depth.
Is this normal? Should I be doing something different? Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

How are you let's say @ 15 to 20 feet deep on a SS with 500 to 600 PSI(end of a dive)--If you're wanting to go up then, you'll need more weight......also, what equipment ie tank size & material, wet suit(if any) thickness & weight are you using and in fresh or saltwater.....bet we can solve that problem right here & now........good luck....btw, most new divers do better a little over weighted---it's a terrible feeling being too light & wanting to float up @ the end----It happens to everyone sooner or later ie new equipment etc etc.....

Let us know how it actually works out for you when you get back out into the water. In addition to the wetsuit being a possible contributing factor (I wear a 7mm and have sometimes had the same issue as you), the positioning of your weight might have an impact. Does that sound weird? On a recent dive I changed how I distributed my weight in my bcd and shifted the bulk of the weight to my trim pockets only to find myself struggling with my buoyancy for most of the dive. It was weird and definitely frustrating and I couldn't figure out why I was having issues getting/staying down (this was a shallow dive, btw). When I mentioned it to one of my co-workers after the dive, he said "Let me guess, you shifted more weight to your trim instead of your actual weight pockets." Apparently, he's had the same experience! I'd never heard of this but I went back to my usual configuration and have had no problems since then. Hmmm....

Instead of exhaling the moment you hit the exhaust button, try taking a big breath at the same time you deflate you're BC. Then exhale completely while putting your face in the water - works for me. This gives your BC time to completely deflate before emptying your lungs - seems to initiate the necessary momentum, provided your weighted correctly.

Ben

Have you given any thought to your feet? Many times I see divers who can't get down unconsciously moving their hands and feet. try pointing your toes down, hold your wrist at waist level exhale and wait to sink before even thinking about taking a breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom