Inhale on reg when disconnected? ATX40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sucnip

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a new Apeks ATX50/40 reg set and noticed the instructions booklet said in the predive checkout that you should not be able to inhale when the tank is turned off. This is true on my ATX50, but on the ATX40 there is a very small amount of air that is drawn into the mouthpiece when I try to take a breath. Both breathe fine underwater.

Is this a problem?

David

You may have the exhaust diaphragm not sealing fully on the second stage housing, or there could be a tear in the inhalation diaphragm. Yes, it is a problem, and you should check to make sure that these two diaphragms are intact, and seated properly. This may cause water to seep into your 2nd stage when taking a breath.

or... (if your reg is not on a tank) ... the dust cap on the first stage might not be airtight ... that's not a problem, it is just a dust-cap... but make sure it's not one of the more serious concerns.

sucnip:
I just bought a new Apeks ATX50/40 reg set and noticed the instructions booklet said in the predive checkout that you should not be able to inhale when the tank is turned off. This is true on my ATX50, but on the ATX40 there is a very small amount of air that is drawn into the mouthpiece when I try to take a breath. Both breathe fine underwater.

Is this a problem?

David

Your ATX40 has a leak. This might be a serious problem or it might be a less than serious problem, but it's still a problem. Take the advice of the manufacturer and have the regulator repaired before you find out just how big the problem it really is.

Steven

Back
Top Bottom