Information on Nitrox Compatability & Mares Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartijnDorp

Registered
Reaction score
There is loads of info on cold water compatability, but I have searched the web, and I cannot find any definitive information on which Mares regulators are Nitrox compatible.

I am a warm water diver and use enriched air up to mixes of EANx36.

Can anyone send me a link to a list of regs and whether they are Nitrox compatible and whether or not you have to get a special Nitrox service kit fitted first?

thanks.

Jonny_Rocket:
If you check out www.mares.com, and go to the products section there is a complete list of Mares regs.

I have already waded through the complete Mares website and even downloaded their technical manuals. They did not mention positive Nitrox compatability that I could find.

Though to save you time, all Mares regs are 40% EANx compatible from the box.

Even the ones with titanium parts?

That doesn't match with other advice I've heard. Ti and EANx don't mix according to some. The manual for the Planet Ti even includes a dire warning not to use it.

My old Aqualung reg was clear and was listed on the manufacturers web site http://www.aqualung.co.uk/technical_library/EAN_comp.doc: you needed a different washer fitted to make it Nitrox compatible, and the Scubapro dealer told me that MK25/600 model was Nitrox compliant to EANx50 out of the box.

But Mares? I've found sites that have the Proton Ice marked as "Nitrox: No."

MartijnDorp:
I have already waded through the complete Mares website and even downloaded their technical manuals. They did not mention Nitrox that I could find.

Even the ones with titanium parts?

That doesn't match with other advice I've heard. Ti and EANx don't mix according to some.

My old Aqualung reg was clear and listed on the manufacturers web site: you needed a different washer fitted to make it Nitrox compatible, and the Scubapro dealer told me that all models were Nitrox compliant to EANx50 out of the box.

But Mares? I've found sites that have the Proton Ice marked as "Nitrox: No."
i bought my regulator at this site and it tells you if it's eanx compatible or not:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...ex=7&CategoryID=1159&Context=954&Filter=1=646

If I understand correctly, regs with titanium parts are still ok with up to 40%.

I know with my Mares reg, I didn't need anything as far as parts when I switched to nitrox.

Actually, I was interested in purchasing the PI for a time. While shopping around for it, everybody I spoke with told me it's good for Nitrox. However, I changed my mind and am going to purchase the Atomic M1.

Alright now this pisses me off, how can it be nitrox compatible and not nitrox compatible?

Anyone have a definite answer?

Maybe its the old "nitrox ready" vs. "nitrox compatible" thing meaning it could be ready for nitrox but it isnt at the moment. I didnt think the ice had any titanium or anything non compatible so it should work. Hell even titanium technically works with nirox to a point.

And on another note, why the Atomic M1 over the ice? I was considering the ice myself and havent fully researched atomics regs because they dont seem to be sold as much around here and i like service everywhere.

84CJ7:
Alright now this pisses me off, how can it be nitrox compatible and not nitrox compatible?

Anyone have a definite answer?

Maybe its the old "nitrox ready" vs. "nitrox compatible" thing meaning it could be ready for nitrox but it isnt at the moment. I didnt think the ice had any titanium or anything non compatible so it should work. Hell even titanium technically works with nirox to a point.

And on another note, why the Atomic M1 over the ice? I was considering the ice myself and havent fully researched atomics regs because they dont seem to be sold as much around here and i like service everywhere.

Actaully the Titanium that most reg makers refer to are used to forge the "A" clamp of the 1st stage and a cosmetic piece on the 2nd stage. If there are no internal titanium mechanical parts (like the conical filter, popet springs or popet lever, e.t.c), then it would be relatively safe to use for Nitrox (up to 40%). Otherwise use a regular marine brass reg and have it O2 cleaned specifically for Nitrox.

the definite answer is that after Oceanic started the trend a couple of years ago, everyone started saying that their regs are O2 friendly. Oxygen is only harmful in high concentrations and at high pressure. I don;t know why everyone gets so excite about the thought of nitrox and not being clean. Your reg is fin what ever it is. New and out of the box. Just think that all your second stages and lp hoses are Low pressure so there is nothing to worry about and there is about 2 o-rings in the first stage that actually touch the air. So you are fine. I wouldn't worry about anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom