Information on diving career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I don't even know where to begin. It has always been a dream of mine to move to fiji, and buy a boat to take people out to scuba dive (I don't even know what the name of these people are). As you can tell I don't know much at all about this, and I would love to get as much information as possible on this subject! Thank you!

Are you a diver? Captain? Experience on boats? In other tourism industries?

There is a steep learning curve ahead of you. If you intend to employ guides then you can act as a more 'silent' partner and look to organisation of the boat.

BOAT- 'bring on another thousand'. Diving boats are expensive, first to buy, then to run, then to maintain. You can lose big time if you're not boat savvy.

If Fiji is your goal, then go to Fiji and look at the area with critical eyes, talk to people etc. Internet education pales in comparison to actually being there- not just a vacation, but a proper 6-12 month stay.

Diving is a bit like the resaurant/bar industry in that it seems like a good thing to do... until you end up on Ramsey's Nightmares. Unless you have approx $300 000 (not joking) that you can walk away from, I'd be very cautious about entering the diving industry without lots of experience in similar industries.

This section is directed at Commercial Diving (underwater construction and repair, inland or oil related). What you are asking about is called recreational diving. In-particular a "Diving Charter Operator." Qualifications required would generally require becoming a Diving Instructor or Divemaster and qualifications to operate a commercial vessel (which is dependent on jurisdiction). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom