Info on Shore diving Stillwater Cove? (Monterey)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eclipse785

Reaction score
So I just got a pass for 17-mile drive and wanted to see if anyone recomended Stillwater cove or could tell me more about it. It looks like an easy dive, but I didn't know if there was anything worth seeing. If I remember correctly, the vis board at Aquarius consistently shows good vis over there and the entry looks easy enough.

On a side note:
Any other reccomended sites off of 17-mile drive?

eclipse785:
So I just got a pass for 17-mile drive and wanted to see if anyone recomended Stillwater cove or could tell me more about it. It looks like an easy dive, but I didn't know if there was anything worth seeing. If I remember correctly, the vis board at Aquarius consistently shows good vis over there and the entry looks easy enough.

On a side note:
Any other reccomended sites off of 17-mile drive?

Still water cove is a great dive but the surface kick to anything really interesting is painfully long. We did it with scooters a couple months ago and it was amazing, one of my best dives this year actually. We caught a rare day with 60+ vis. The terrain is epic.

NOTE: Ultra snootiness requires that no un sightly dive vehicles be near the pier. You have to dump off all your gear off then go park out of sight from the tender eyes of Pebble Beach members. :) Ok actually parking is reserved for Pebble beach members, they pay dearly for that title and I guess they deserve spots more than we do.:D

Don't focus too much on 17 mile drive. Get a Point Lobos reservation and thank me latter.

-Chris

http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/CDNDiveSites.html

Scroll down to the carmel sites. Like Chris said, you'll quickly tire (pun intended-it's quite a kick-oops, did it again) of shore diving Stillwater and head off to other sites. The dive boats frequently use it when the seas are big and customers are ralphing over the side.

Did Stillwater once... wasn't a fan, though the free hot showers were nice. Long surface swim; shallow waters, and ultra snooty golf snobs... tempted to walk across the greens dripping salt water with the attitude issues going.

Better spots... Lobos, Monastery, Butterfly House, (those two are advanced), Lovers, Coral Street, heck, I like San Carlos better. Boat dives a ways off the backside are *very* nice though.

Hi, would also not recommend Stillwater for shore diving for the reasons above. (Great for kayaking, never any hassle but don't expect to find parking after 9:00am on a summer weekend).

One spot I've used as a kayak launch but looked like it would make for a good shore dive is the small beach at the Fanshell overlook.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/...e=200402221&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2004

Note the surf. Much more advanced than Stillwater, very calm days only, plus watch for current etc. (though I've never encountered any there). There's a kelp bed right off shore which I've dove twice and enjoyed.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom