Info on moving to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huskychemist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I are considering a move to Thailand this summer. I'd be interested in any information from folks that have done the same, or are from Thailand and have ideas for me. I've certainly found a lot of great information just by checking in on this forum for the last few weeks, but figured I could ask more specifically.

Feel free to PM if you think that'd be more appropriate for your answer.

(And for quick background info: I'm a teacher, and will be teaching at an international school yet to be determined... I have a five year old son. I currently live in Seattle, Washington, USA.)

Many thanks. Happy diving!

Lowell

huskychemist:
My family and I are considering a move to Thailand this summer. I'd be interested in any information from folks that have done the same, or are from Thailand and have ideas for me. I've certainly found a lot of great information just by checking in on this forum for the last few weeks, but figured I could ask more specifically.

Feel free to PM if you think that'd be more appropriate for your answer.

(And for quick background info: I'm a teacher, and will be teaching at an international school yet to be determined... I have a five year old son. I currently live in Seattle, Washington, USA.)

Many thanks. Happy diving!

Lowell

Lowell, it's hard to know what kind of info you're looking for, but guess it's not diving or you would have found it already! But FWIW here are a few thoughts.

If you already have a job, the part that many of the people on SB have struggled with for a move to Thailand--getting a work permit--will be taken care of by your school. There's a proper procedure for this that involves getting a non-immigrant B visa before you leave home which then is converted to a long-stay visa once you are here. You will need TONS of photos for each member of your family for your periodic visa applications, so be prepared with a stack of them before you come--of course you can get them here, but it's just one more thing to do when there is already so much going on as you first arrive. (BTW, your work permit photo must show you in formal work attire.) As for the rest... :068:

Housing/furniture: I don't know how similar Phuket and Bangkok are to the rest of the country in terms of housing, but in those two places, at least, most apartments and houses you will look at to rent come supplied with all the major furniture and appliances. So you need to ship just your personal belongings and anything related to your particular lifestyle. You can take things like bath and bed linens or just buy them here. There may not be as many dishes, pans and kitchen utensils as you typically have in the US. Don't bring any small appliances (even alarm clocks) unless they are dual voltage since the power here is 240 v. 60 cycles. You can bring your computer equipment, but buy a voltage regulator locally before you set it up here.

The shipment: Your shipping company will pay "tea money" to the customs office to facilitate the release of your household goods (which technically should not even be shipped, let alone released, before you have your work permit, which itself can take a couple of months--a catch 22 for sure). But to make things as easy as possible and keep the tea money to a reasonable amount, make certain you don't bring dutiable items--or at least rename these items so that they don't raise too many red flags. For example, when I moved here a couple of years ago, my shipper gave me a list of dutiable items that included things like bicycles and Christmas stuff. I listed them as "sports equipment" and "seasonal decorations" or something like that. Don't even think about bringing a car; the duties are stunningly high (besides we drive on the other side of the road here).

Set up a PO Box in the US for somebody to forward mail to you periodically and set up your US credit cards to be paid by direct debit from a US bank account. Getting a credit card from a bank here seems nigh on impossible these days for foreigners, so you will likely be able to have only a debit card on your local bank account. Do as much US banking online as you can.

Get an international driver's license before you come, though it's okay to drive on your national one for a while. Unlike in most countries, you cannot just translate and transfer your driving privileges from your last country of residence to Thailand; if you want a Thai driver's license you have to sit for the exams.

Guess that's more than enough for a diving forum. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Also, I'll be in Seattle for a week in mid-late March for a major professional conference (TESOL), so if you'd like, I may be able to find time for a cup of coffee at the convention center while I'm in town.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I'll be sending a PM for the Seattle connection. It'd be great to meet.

The local insights are unbelievably helpful for me at this point in order to wrap my mind around what seems like a monumental task....moving to another country.

I won't mind diving information...but as you mentioned, a lot of it can come from a search, dive guide books, etc. In terms of diving information, the one piece I am interested in is the accessability of shore diving in the Rayong area. While I haven't picked a school yet (or even a country, although Thailand is at the top of the list...), the one I'm most interested in at this point is in Ban Chang, just a bit west from Rayong as I understand it. So any information on that area would be great.

Thanks again.

Lowell

Husky,

A source of very good information on Thailand is a Thai related board, just like SB, it's called Thaivisa and you can find it here; http://www.thaivisa.com

Other than that Quero had some spot information.

Diving wise, Rayong may not be too bad of a choice, it's near Pattaya, so you can dive a lot, also Koh Samet and Koh Chang aren't too far away, nice 'get away' islands which offer diving. Diving in that part of Thailand isn't the best but long weekend trips to Koh Tao, Phuket or Krabi are very manageable. Travelling in Thailand is fairly cheap.

Great. Thanks. I just registered at Thaivisa. That looks like a really informative site. Thanks for the tip.

huskychemist:
Great. Thanks. I just registered at Thaivisa. That looks like a really informative site. Thanks for the tip.

For info on teaching in Thailand:

http://ajarn.com/

look at the forums as well - you can sometimes get a straight answer there (although, it has to be said - not too often).
-j-

huskychemist,

good choice - there's worst places to be than the "Land of Smile" :)

Quero and others have given good and valid information (although AFAIK the information on the driving licence is not correct, at least not for Bangkok: In Bangkok you can exchange your international driving licence against a local driving licence without exam).

If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to help if I can. Feel free to PM me.

Shore diving around Rayong? Not that I know of any. Typically diving on this coast of Thailand involves boats.

Ban chang is nice little seaside town with a good range of accomodation and a mix of expat and Thai residents.

For shore diving - well there isnt any, rain water run-off from the mainland just gives vv bad viz.

The nearest dive location is Samaesan - its about 20 minutes away and you get daily boats out of there most all of the year round - its famous for the hardeep wreck. Pattaya is about 40/50 mins away and theres daily diving from there to the islands ("near" and "far" islands).

My favoutire location is Hin Plueng/Hin Alhambra which is about 1.5 hours out off the end of Koh Samet. To dive HP/HA just go to Laem Mae Phim - there are two local dive operators, Villa Bali (has website) and Toi divers, both situated on the main road in LMP. LMP is about 50 minutes from Ban Chang

Just search this weboard or try damnam.org for the sites.

Back
Top Bottom