Info needed on poseidon jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dee-

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I could have Poseidon Jetstream bought in 2006, used about 10 dives (seller said !?!) for 600$, see picture:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd....3_10155461741210294_4929244376288547202_o.jpg

Is that a good price?

On poseidon website, they said that 21% oxygen max.... this reg cant work with nitrox? and if o2 cleaned?

i was looking for apeks xtx200 too....is that a better choice?

I need something that works in cold "really cold" water, and that i can keep if im going tech or twin tank

They are both good regs, but that is NOT a good price on the Jetstream. You can get a brand new one for around $700 from Dive Gear Express. For one that old, $350, max.

The newer models (designated MKIII for the newer first stage) also have some advantages over the older ones (they do work with nitrox and no longer require specialty hoses). If you are going to spend 600 for a 9 year old one, it's a no-brainer to spend the extra 100 or so for a new one.

Can't go wrong with XTX 200 either. Coincidentally, I have both.

I posted a good description on the differences between a Poseidon and the Apeks on this forum, it is a few threads below this one ("Finally got my Poseidon, WOW"). I highly recommend you read that threat (it's short). The Poseidon is a unique design that breathes in a unique way so I would not rush into one (especially one that's not a good deal) without a little more info (unless you are already familiar with Poseidons or servo-assisted regs).

its a bit steep imo. a new set from DGX is 800, so 300 to 400 is probably fairer value depending on if the regs need service.

I love my Jetstreams but that isn't a good price on one. Best case it is at least 5 years old due to the first stage, not that it matters, but the number of dives is irrelevant. For us US guys reading, $600cad is about $480USD in todays dollars. For $800 USD you can buy a brand new pair of Jetstreams with the new Mk3 first stage, SPG and hoses from DGX, which also includes the hose adapters to allow it to be used with standard regulator hoses. $1000 USD for the doubles setup
https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/jetstream.shtml

For reference, the last set I bought was a doubles set for $350 or so, granted they needed to be fully rebuilt, but I was in a doubles set for about $500 usd. The other issue is that while the first stage is a very good first stage for cold water, the way they choose to seal that first stage is a pain in the butt and the new MK3 first stages don't require the rubber caps filled with vodka to keep them from freezing. If you want Poseidon, go with the Jetstream or Xstream kits from DGX, better long term investment, and just pick which second stages you prefer. Apeks XTX will perform just as well in the cold, as will most of the other sealed diaphragm regulators on the market, Hollis, Dive Rite, Hog, etc all perform very well in ice diving conditions.

WRT the 21% oxygen, that is Poseidon covering their butts. The non "nitrox" versions don't come with viton O-ring kits so they shouldn't be used with >40% O2 mixes, and they also use a silicone based lubricant during manufacture, so the air or trimix use is a CYOA policy, same as the new Blue Steel valves saying not for use with >40% nitrox mixes. Standard Poseidons have been used for decades in 100% O2 use with proper cleaning, and as of 24 hours ago my Jetstreams from the 90s or so were breathing 32% in cave country.

Poseidons Jetstreams and to some extend Xstreams breathe very differently than just about every other regulator on the market due to the servo design. The Xstreams are a little less "in your face", but the Jetstreams are a noticeable increase in cracking pressure vs. standard regulators though total WoB is similar. I prefer it, as do some others, but many like the standard regulators that will start slowly freeflowing if you have the adjustment knob all the way out so cracking pressure is essentially 0.

all right guys! thanks a lot... will pass on this offer! btw tbone1004, it was 600 usd, already converted for you! :p

where is best price for apeks stuff?

If it was $600 USD you would have been getting raped.....

Apeks, and Aqualung in general, like Scubapro is incredibly strict in their advertised pricing. Dive Right in Scuba is a dealer in the US that sells Apeks, but it will all be at the MAP. Only way to get them at better prices is to go used. The ODS regs that Hog/Hollis/Dive Rite are selling will all perform about as well, won't have quite the resale value of Apeks, but the difference is still greater in new Apeks prices. Think long and hard about what kind of diving you are going to be doing before purchasing regulators. The 5port turrets are by far the most versatile backgas regulators, so the Apeks DST/XTX50 represents the most versatile combination out there with ideal house routing for wetsuit single tank diving, all sidemount, and imho all twinset diving.

On that front, if you are intending on transitioning to twinsets, do it sooner rather than later, you'll save money/time/frustration by purchasing the doubles kits now and converting back to singles, than going with singles, and having to buy another first stage. Also make sure they are all DIN.

If it was $600 USD you would have been getting raped.....

Apeks, and Aqualung in general, like Scubapro is incredibly strict in their advertised pricing. Dive Right in Scuba is a dealer in the US that sells Apeks, but it will all be at the MAP. Only way to get them at better prices is to go used. The ODS regs that Hog/Hollis/Dive Rite are selling will all perform about as well, won't have quite the resale value of Apeks, but the difference is still greater in new Apeks prices. Think long and hard about what kind of diving you are going to be doing before purchasing regulators. The 5port turrets are by far the most versatile backgas regulators, so the Apeks DST/XTX50 represents the most versatile combination out there with ideal house routing for wetsuit single tank diving, all sidemount, and imho all twinset diving.

On that front, if you are intending on transitioning to twinsets, do it sooner rather than later, you'll save money/time/frustration by purchasing the doubles kits now and converting back to singles, than going with singles, and having to buy another first stage. Also make sure they are all DIN.

is there any major differences between xtx 40, 50, 100, 200?

and what about apeks tek 3 twin kit? (xtx50)

xtx40 doesn't have the adjustment knob. XTX50/100/200 are all identical second stages other than the chrome bling bits. I think the XTX200 looks the best, but it's purely aesthetic.

Apeks offers the following cold water first stages
FSR-XTX200-removable HP seat crown funky port routing for doubles, good for singles though
FST-XTX100, same as above but without removable crown
DST-5 port turret with XTX50, also the one used in sidemount set
DS4-basically same as above but 4 ports and no turret
Tek3-basically same as DS4, but 3lp ports and 1HP port on one side, designed to look "sexy" for doubles, but I prefer the DST's hose routing. Can't use them with singles in a drysuit unless you have an inflation bottle due to only have 3 of the 4 required LP ports. Best use is actually for stage/deco bottles, especially in sidemount where you are putting bottles on each side of you. I wouldn't bother buying them.

perfect! thank you!

i'll visit my lds this week and let you know my final choice!

Back
Top Bottom