Inflator hose and warm water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH2Odvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I’m heading for warm water (yea!) and I’m not sure what to do with my inflator hose. I’d pull it for the trip but I’ll need it for shooting a bag. What’s the proper way to rig for warm water?

Thanks,

Dave

Are you talking about your drysuit inflator hose or BC inflator hose?

You can get SMBs and liftbags that can be inflated using a second stage - dump the drysuit inflator (if that's what you're talking about), and grab an SMB that you can inflate with a second stage, and you don't have to worry about disconnecting an inflator hose to inflate it.

I thought open bottom bags were not considered DIR.

If open bottom bags are not DIR that doesn’t leave much choice for inflation sources. It doesn’t seem very DIR to pull the hose from my single source of buoyancy (wing) so again, that doesn’t leave much choice for inflation sources. I’m not packin’ the drysuit to Palau just so I can shoot a bag so what’s the proper rig?

Surely there’s more than one person here who’ll tell me where to stick my hose… :33:

Doc_Sandy:
Just tuck it under the bungee (rubber tubing) straps alongside your power inflator hose.
That's what I was thinking; I've just never heard/seen that with the DIR seal of approval.

scuba-punk:
With all due respect to Jeff Foxworthy, if your open-bottom lift bag is made by halcyon, it might be DIR...]
Damn it, I so didn't get that memo. When did semi-closed become DIR?

hantzu701:
hmmm... that's new... guess that means I get to keep my semi-closed bags.
Ditto...

Snowbear:
Why can't you orally inflate it?
I had assumed that the restriction of the check valve and the lp hose adapter would make oral inflation difficult at best. I just tried it with my wife’s Halcyon SMB and it inflates quite nicely. I’m a little leery of potential entanglements from the line, not quite as neat as filling with the suit hose but it might work.

I have heard people tell me that they just inflate their smb with their mouths. apparently at depth it only takes a couple of breaths. I guess it boils down to what you view is more of a failure point - taking your reg out, exhaling and screwing that up, or taking your ds inflator hose and screwing that up (like I did today by dropping it, losing it, and not being able to reconnect it underwater)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom