Inflator assembly issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemon lime

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been seriously considering getting a Mach V, but I've read a few accounts of the inflator assembly breaking off from the bladder. Is this a known issue and if so, how is this being addressed?

I had been waiting for my LDS to receive its shipment of the A-pack before getting the wing when I read about the inflator. Is there a way to check in the shop if the fitting is faulty?

By all accounts, I've read that Oxycheq makes quality equipment and have been looking forward to getting my own. However, even the smallest chance that this sort of equipment failure can happen is really very worrisome.

I cannot swear to it but that is a generic inflator used by numerous other companies. I bought one that is exactly like it from some dive shop in Florida with an extreme name. I had to go in under cover, I wore a mustache and a pair of dark sunglasses so as not to be recognized as the one and only N. Apparently I am on some wanted posters from some well known scuba board.
N

First of all, it really should not be that worrisome from a safety standpoint. as a warm water diver, you should be able to swim that rig up with no problem.

I had a dump valve fail on a new 18# wing. It looked like the inner connection may have been over torqued resulting in the inner most plastic piece cracking and finally letting go. I passed the extra 2 lb I was carrying to my buddy and continued the dive. Put on a temporary patch with duct tape and finished the week in Bonaire without a problem. Scubatoys sent me a couple of the connectors and I replaced the bad one and put the other in my save-a-dive kit. I inspected my shoulder connector and it was fine. BTW, it is the same std connector used by Diverite and a number of others so it is not too hard to find.

I would not hesitate to order another Oxycheq wing. Hopefully they have identified the problem (heavy handed assembler) and corrected it.

From a safety standpoint, you're right. I should be able to swim up without a problem. From the standpoint of having brand new gear conk out during a trip, it do find it worrisome. In a few months I'll be traveling out of the country to attend a 6 week fellowship on maritime archaeology. Having to deal with getting a replacement in case something happens during this time just doesn't seem very appealing. Especially for gear I bought for the express purpose of using during this training. :wink:

Would anyone have any tips on inspecting a wing at a shop to see if the connection is okay? I really do want to by an Oxycheq wing, but with all these stories coming out (another one since I first started this thread), I'd like a reassurance from Oxycheq that they've isolated the problem and are working to fix it.

Would anyone have any tips on inspecting a wing at a shop to see if the connection is okay? I really do want to by an Oxycheq wing, but with all these stories coming out (another one since I first started this thread), I'd like a reassurance from Oxycheq that they've isolated the problem and are working to fix it.

I'm pretty sure mine was leaking before it failed so fill it up till it burps and see if it stays firm for 10 or 15 minutes. You might even check to see if there is any unusual movement in the connections but if there is, I'm sure it would also be leaking. The bad connectors are probably under $2 each so have the shop sweeten the deal with a couple thrown in. It's really hard to beat the reliability of a few important spares. Maybe have the shop show you how to do the field repair. It can be done without to recommended tool as the inner and middle parts tend to unscrew first.

It is easier than changing a tire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom