Inflatable boat question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubmersibleGeek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I currently live in CA but will be moving to HI within the next year. I have been looking into getting an inflatable boat in the 14ft range for use in CA, something like a Zodiac Futura. Will I be able to use a boat like this in HI? I guess what I'm asking is can I get to a majority of the boat dive spots in an inflatable or do I need to go on a larger charter dive boat.? I don't want to get something now that I won't be able to use in a year.

Thanks for the help.

I'd look to something a bit larger, in part it depends where in Hawaii you're moving. On the big island there are often rather long distances to cover between a launch point and where you want to dive.

What Thal said! Where you intend to dive makes all the difference. In the Ohana there is probably only one inflatable of comparable size (rubber ducky) and those guys are not just your average day trippers. :)

Been using a 15'5 (Named it Rubber Ducky) now for 2 years here in HI. It's a F470 which is the military version of the futura.

Now here is is what I like:

1) I get to go anywhere around the island I want, for however long I want. Dive charters here tend to be on the expensive side, and only stay at the dive site for a very short period. Frankly, I am not a tourist diver or like doing the same sites over and over and over...I use it for exploration dives. Just this last week we dove Kaena Point....good luck diving that with a charter boat.

2) Gas is like $12 a day with a 25 HP 2-stroke Yamaha outboard. I have buddies that are putting hundreds of dollars of gas into their boat for one trip...yes their boats are nicer...but my priority is diving not looking cool in front of the ladies...

3) I can trailer it, meaning I have access to any dive site anywhere around the island, unlike other boats and/or charters

4) I can easily accomodate 4 x 2-tank recreational divers or 3 x technical divers.

5) My POS Pontiac Van can easily tow it.

Here is what I do not like

1) My boat is old, military surplus it requires alot of TLC as in patches etc....actually I am somewhat suprised it is still alfoat. Then again look at craigslist I can prolly buy another POS boat for a thousand dollars and throw my 25 HP engine on it...18 dive trips later it would be paid for by itself...

I keep telling all my buddies that if I were a milionaire, I would go out and buy another zodiac it is the perfect dive boat for Hawaii....for me anyways.

In the end, I have easily paid the cost of what I paid for the boat, trailer and engine 2 years ago that I would have spent on charters...AND I GET TO DO WHAT I WANT (Where/When and how long). Matter of fact if I did the math I have probably already saved money.

I second HUE. I am one of those WE that utilize his boat on a regular basis with him. If you are a once in a while diver and like the niceties then a zodiac is not the way to go. If you like to get off the beaten path and go when/where/how long you want to go then a zodiac is the way to go. We have even done some pretty long rides on that boat to get to some out of the way places.

Thanks for the info all. I will be moving to Oahu in Feb and am going to keep my eye out for a boat like S&D's between now and then.

I wasn't too sure about diving off an inflatable, but after doing 2 dives with S&D this summer it was a blast - just donn/doff inwater and climb aboard. We even had 4 divers in that thing with doubles, deco bottles etc.. wasn't a pretty sight, but it worked and go us all out there and back in a decent amount of time.

Aloha, Tim

I ran a girlfriends 14'6" Sillenger (just like the Calipso's tenders in the beginning) out of the Kihei ramp for a couple years (40 Hp Johnson). Even went all the way around Kaho'olawe once (8 hours, no stops). Took it from Mala to Lanai for a couple camping trips. Broke down outside of Hulopoe Bay the second time and luckily got to take the ferry back. Got parts and went back the next day to retrieve it. More than once, had it in following seas so big we would surf uncontrollably into the back of the wave in front, filling the boat with so much water the cooler and gas tank would nearly float out. Coming out of Molokini one day the southerly wrap from strong easterlies nearly flipped us when we crested the first roller. Only time out of Maalaea, the trades coming back from the Pali were so strong we had everything as far forward as possible, including ourselves, and the prop felt like it was the only thing touching the water. Been surrounded by a 14 whale heat pod out by Molokai and was more than a little worried. SeaFire pointed us in the direction of a basking tiger shark once, which we found, and it was as long as the boat! It dove before I could get the camera in the water.

Those were the days, glad I survived! Make sure the weather is calm and flat, be safe have fun.

Ok, did my weekly check last night for local boats for sale and came up with one on craigs list. Here's the next question. This particular boat is a 16ft zodiac futura and outfitted with everything I need so it looks like it has been taken care of. Seller claims its been garage kept but it is 10 years old. The question is, what is the expected life and max life of an inflatable?

If your interested here's the link to one one I'm talking about.
Boat for sale

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom