Inexpensive Shell Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Nex-Gen is the way to go. Its priced right, and the large selection of stock sizes make it easy to get a suit that fits. I am very happy with mine. I just wish I had ordered the XXL undergarment vs the XL since it does not stretch at all. My g/f modified it a bit to get a greater range of motion so I could reach my valves, but its still not perfect. They run the specials all the time for suit, undergarment, boots, gloves, and hood. I got all of that and training for $750 + tax.

Same thing happened to me in Kauai in mid Feb this year (froze my toucass off on a boat dive), water was 72 at 100' I had a Shorty 3 mil with me that was just fine for single tank 40' shore dives. As far as the boat dive they told me I would need a full suit, "aint no way your stay warm w/that shorty" - I though it was BS, they talked me into a well worn 3-5-3 rental (prob more like 2-3-2) I thought it was much more than I needed.
Tell you what, by the 2nd Dive I could not stop shivering, I couldn't believe it ...it's 72 degree water! but when you stop to realize your body is doing everything it can to keep you at 98.6 ...and 95 is a danger point for hypothermia setting in - it makes sense.
The owner laughed, he said his motto: "you can't have too much rubber" ...I'm a believer, while I personally would never consider (or be caught) w/a drysuit in Hawaii ... I could see a full 5mil. ...maybe even a hood.
But if a drysuit gets you in the water - do what it takes!

phillybob:
the coldest i've ever been on a dive was in 72 degree water at dos ojos in mexico. air temp was about 95. after two one hour dives i was freezing my can off. it happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom