Inexpensive Shell Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know what you're thinking... Hawaii... Drysuit... Crazy?

Here's my reasons:
1) Even with my natural insulation I still get chilled ...
2) I'm hoping to do some travelling to colder climates and would like to do some cold water diving (eventually in Alaska - my favorite vacation place) but don't want my first dry diving to be while on vacation - so gotta learn at home first.
3) Diving Dry just sounds like it would be fun to learn...

So I'm considering a drysuit - the two that I've found so far are the Bare Nexgen and the Dacor Drysuit as both are available to me for under $700 - any other shell suits that I might consider? I'd prefer a front zip, but that's not really important, however it has to be a shell suit (neoprene would be too warm for 80* water) and I'd prefer non- integrated boots also. (I have a hard time finding boots that fit, and drysuit boots seem rather limited size wise)

Almost all my diving is exclusively shore diving from sandy beaches if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any ideas - and none of this is anytime soon - earliest maybe 4 months

Aloha, Tim

Try on whatever you can and if you find one that fits well, buy it. If you don't, suck it up and spend the $$ for a custom suit..

FWIW, I like my Mobby's Twin shell a lot.

http://www.mobbys.com/prodtwinshell.html

Terry

kidspot:
I know what you're thinking... Hawaii... Drysuit... Crazy?

Here's my reasons:
1) Even with my natural insulation I still get chilled ...
2) I'm hoping to do some travelling to colder climates and would like to do some cold water diving (eventually in Alaska - my favorite vacation place) but don't want my first dry diving to be while on vacation - so gotta learn at home first.
3) Diving Dry just sounds like it would be fun to learn...

So I'm considering a drysuit - the two that I've found so far are the Bare Nexgen and the Dacor Drysuit as both are available to me for under $700 - any other shell suits that I might consider? I'd prefer a front zip, but that's not really important, however it has to be a shell suit (neoprene would be too warm for 80* water) and I'd prefer non- integrated boots also. (I have a hard time finding boots that fit, and drysuit boots seem rather limited size wise)

Almost all my diving is exclusively shore diving from sandy beaches if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any ideas - and none of this is anytime soon - earliest maybe 4 months

Aloha, Tim

you can get a used DUI TLS 350 used for under $800

i did, and i would reccomend it

also, if you can fit into a standard size, keep an eye open for suits on Ebay

a used TLS350 for under $675 (ebay)...I did and it was in excellent condition.

yup... mine came with a p-valve, two pockets, hood, bag, cleaning kit, and
brand new seals, and new hose

was a good deal =)

i bought it from a local dealer (well, semi-local... Extreme Exposure in
High Springs)

i went out there to try it out, and it fit very well... so...

kidspot:
....<snip> however it has to be a shell suit (neoprene would be too warm for 80* water) ...

Am I reading this right? You wanna dive with a cold weather shell dry suit in 80 degree water? :06:

If you can find a Whites dealer, the Whites Nexus shell is a very affordable, back entry suit. If you can fit the off-the-rack size (of which they have many), it's another good option to consider. Comes complete with underwear and a backpack. :)

look at a bare nex gen. i have heard a lot of good things about them. i dive thier semi-dry and am very happy with it. i'm looking to go dry this fall and will probably go with a bare. i like thier "quality to cost ratio" you can get them dirt cheap almost anywhere. some deals come with the thinner version of thier undergarment, hood, gloves, rock boots and other crap included for around $850. as someone who dives n.j. in a wet suit, i do have to say "A DRY SUIT IN FRIGGIN' HAWAII ?!" just kidding. do what ya gotta do to get down, man.

Thanks for the recommendations... and ribbing :wink:

Trying on suits isn't really an option ... no one is crazy enough to carry drysuits over here - lol

I am currently doing mostly 60-80 min. dives in a 3mil hooded suit (winter is just ending) so I am actually ok over here (though I frequently get chilled and have considered a 5mil instead), but if I can learn to dive dry (which I've heard it takes about 100 dives to really get used to them) then I'll be ready when I travel for any cold weather diving - I do know a couple other dry divers over here, but it's not real common... funny I NEVER got cold before taking up diving... wonder why I get cold in the water... hmmm

I've looked at used DUI TLS350 suits, but I don't fit in the DUI size charts - so it would have to be custom, I do however fit right in the BARE XXL size.

Tim,

Believe it or not, you're not the only guy who gets cold in warm water. And if you're in it long enough, as with some more challenging dives, you can get downright dangerously hypothermic.

Here's a suit designed for tropical latitudes. It's made of a gore-tex-type fabric that lets water vapor out, but not water in.

You might have to have it custom ordered, but I suspect you'd be real happy with it. Give it a look:
http://www.dui-online.com/dry_30.htm

Its what I'd be using for certain dives if I lived where you live. And I lived for two years on Guam, and spent another year on Okinawa and in the Philippines.

FWIW. YMMV.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom