Inexpensive dive trip *other* than Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where can two divers go for a week vacation (on a grad student budget) that *isn't* Bonaire? Diving in Bonaire is very reasonably priced. Are there other vacations that are fairly inexpensive?

We're not too picky--we don't need to be on the water, and while we want to dive a lot, they don't need to be boat dives. Also, we're happy to cook for ourselves, so restaurant prices aren't too much of an issue.

Any suggestions for cheaper places to visit?

(note-I'm only excluding Bonaire because I've just come back from a dive trip there. my bf and I figure we should give other places a chance, too, even though Bonaire is clearly paradise)

the Bahamas, Cozumel...

maybe Belize

La Paz, Mexico in September and October. You can find all inclusive with diving a little over $800 pp/dbl for a week. It is different than Caribbean diving. Sea lions, whale sharks and so many eels...

4 of us are going to Key Largo in a couple weeks for a relatively inexpensive 5 day getaway.

Flight - Southwest BNA to FLL - $140 pp

2 bedroom suite at Ocean Pointe Suites - $199/night

3 trip package from Silent World - $165

It's our first trip to the Keys, so I'm hoping for the best.

So Key Largo is definitely cheap for most people East of the Rockies, however it can be a little more expensive than Cozumel...

Hotel can be cheap... Hungry Pelican... $80 for a small room... $120 for a larger room... Silent World... $229 for 10 dives (5 trips)... rental car... fly into FLL or Miami...

Lots of neat stuff to see around Crystal River... $120 night for hotel... diving varies upon what you want to do... my advice would be to take a class which often times incl. the diving... so you get the c-card for just a little extra... to tell you how reasonable, I think we did 4 solid days of diving 3 or 4 dives a day, hotel, car and airfare for under $1000 incl. about 4 certifications... nitrox, boat, drift, night... some paid a little extra and got more c-cards... went through American Pro Diving...

One other place to do some cheap diving around near where you're at is Rocky Point, MX... or Puerto Penasco as it is also referred... shore diving with a boat dive through Lobos Diving...

Further South of Puerto Penasco is San Carlos I think...

Lastly you could also do the Carolina's too... lots of wrecks...

Cozumel.

Here's what Laura has put together for our band of divers:

June 11 to June 18.

A pool view room, 7 nights, 15 dives PLUS unlimited shore diving AND 1 night dive. All inclusive (including domestic alcholic beverages from 11AM to 10:30PM). AND round trip air fare from LAX.

Less than $1600 per person (double occupancy) for travel, hotel, meals, diving, drinks, transfers, etc.

[This is NOT a solicitation for business! We are NOT travel agents! This is an example ONLY!]

For me, I'm going to Kona!
Shorter Flight - No lay overs or changing planes - No passports - Many shore dives - Turtles and Mantas - Priceless!

Dave

Thanks, everyone! These are great suggestions! I'm going to check more into some of those packages you all brought up

Come to South Alabama and hang out with Bugman. It don't get no cheaper than free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom