Inexpensive Cold Water Reg Recomendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the Dive Rite RG2500ICE if you can afford it. Nice reg. I bought 2. Not sure if they are cheaper for you than the Zeagle, or if you have a local Dive Rite dealer.

When I was ice diving I used three Sherwood Magnum Blizzards. They don't offer the easy breathing characteristic of the SPs down at tremendous depths, but normally under ice you aren't going to tremendous depths anyway. AFAIK, the Sherwoods are less expensive than the ScubaPro regs, but YMMV. I know the Sherwoods do a great job under ice though.

Regards,

Doc

Another vote for the Blizzard. I have a delta 3, brut, sea 2, and a blizzard. If I were going to be in water colder than 40 degrees I'd take the blizzard even tho it's the third oldest one. The sea2 is the oldest and I use the 1st stage from it for my argon bottle. All sherwoods have a great reputation. Many rescue teams, especially coldwater ones, use the blizzard.Plus it's easy to service and you can get it serviced practically anywhere.

Inexpensive Cold Water Reg Recomendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<My brother has decided to start diving again.>>

So how little is your brother worth ??? :)

Poseidon...never freezes :)

Paul in VT

He seems to think he is worth more than a used Dacor... But then again he is my little brother... ;-)

I don’t have any first hand experience with the blizzard, but after a few weeks of research I have decided to perches one.

Hi,
Great Lakes diver here, and as said by others, Sherwood Blizzard is my reg set works fine in 30 ish water, works fine at 150fsw, so yes there are many cold water regs that work great, you cant beat sherwoods price and service! You just cant! It is a work horse.
my 3 cents,
dive safe girls,
Brad

Bowzer:
My brother has decided to start diving again. During the Christmas holidays, he handed me his reg, a Dacor Quantum, to see if I could get it serviced for him.
Given the status of Dacor Quantum it appears a new reg is in his future. I am looking for suggestions for an inexpensive Cold Water reg (he has had two previous ones freeze up) He will be diving off NYC, Lake George, and 1000 Islands. We dive Zeagle dx-50z but these are out of his price range. Price, Service and maintainability are more important to him than easy breathing. He is not interested in a reg that requires a CW conversion kit. I am thinking of suggesting he buy a Sherwood Blizzard, but my only direct experience is with their Brut. The other consideration was the ScubaPro Mk2Plus/R190 but I am unsure of it's CW performance. Any advice would be appreciated

any of the poseidons, they never freeze even without the "cold water kit" applied to those tha its available..

I have used posdeidons diving fresh water lakes, where the surface temp was -25f and they didn;t even freeze while I was in the hole before submerging.. on one trip we had about 20 divers in total, only 3 people didnt have their regs freeze, all were poseidons.. Various, sherwoods, apeks, dacor and mares regs all froze..

The newer poseidons xtreme, are great performers, easy to service and don;t require a kit..

Consider an Apeks ATX50. It is a little more than the scubapro and a lot less than the poseidon. I take mine ice diving and 90% of my diving is in cold water anyway. It is a solid regulator that will last you for years. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it thus far.

Daryl

If there are a lot of Sherwood dealers, I'd recommend you go with the Blizzard. It is inexpensive, will not freeze, and you will have excellent local support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom