Inexpensive Blue / Uv Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I did. I have other Chinese lights that are still going strong after 5 years. The corrosion on my light was quite exceptional.

Interesting. That seems pretty shoddy. Of course, at $16 each, I can afford to buy a new one every 6 months if I need to. :)

The light I left with our DM looked like I had been using it for a couple years. There were problems with the coating and with the aluminum.

Can someone recommend a Chinese UV light?

I would recommend Archon Light. They have huge product lines and seem very reliable product.
ARCHON DIVING LIGHTS

I have four of their different models that I bought over the past few years after gotten my AOW. And being a picky consumer that I am, I compared the prices vs technology vs spec, and all the big old brands lost my business right away. Archon seems to have gained popularity worldwide also in recent years. I see their D10V everywhere. Haven't had any issues with my lights so far.

PhotoGrid_1443711353699.jpg

Did one of these dives with a shop that had recently acquired the gear. The yellow mask filter will make a huge difference in how much fluorescence you see. Ikelite sells one for ~$50 and Fire Dive Gear also sells them for ~$35. You can search around and find more options. These masks covers filter out the UV and help show a lot more of the fluorescence.
Not really. If it is true UV your eyes can't see it and you therefore do not need a yellow filter. If it blue, I.e. In the visible range of the spectrum you would need a yellow filter to block out the blue (excitation) light. Because you can't see the UV it may pose danger to your or other people eyes if you shine the light at them for prolonged periods.

I would recommend Archon Light. They have huge product lines and seem very reliable product.
ARCHON DIVING LIGHTS

I have four of their different models that I bought over the past few years after gotten my AOW. And being a picky consumer that I am, I compared the prices vs technology vs spec, and all the big old brands lost my business right away. Archon seems to have gained popularity worldwide also in recent years. I see their D10V everywhere. Haven't had any issues with my lights so far.

View attachment 373096
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Anyone else w/ any more night dive experience w/ these? I'm looking to get two of these for my trip to Bonaire next month. It seems these do the trick and they use the same battery as my ferei lights which is a bonus. I don't care if they are disposable as long as they do the trick!

Thanks
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom