Indonesian Borneo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pierax

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. Has anyone been diving Derawan and Maratua recently? I'm interested in going there but read someone had a really bad experience some of years ago (2015 I think it was). The mantas had been fished and eaten and dynamite fishing caused dead coral everywhere. I woul really appreciate an update.

Thanks

I have not dived those places recently but certainly it was much later than 2015.
Manta? Yes, they were there.
Dead coral? Yes. Could be due to any reason.
Large scale of coral destruction? Definitely NOT.

Thank you
Hi. Has anyone been diving Derawan and Maratua recently? I'm interested in going there but read someone had a really bad experience some of years ago (2015 I think it was). The mantas had been fished and eaten and dynamite fishing caused dead coral everywhere. I woul really appreciate an update.

Thanks
Thank you very much for the helpful and comforting info!!

I stayed on Derawan and dived with Scuba Junkie Sangalaki in July 2022 for just over a week, and had a really good time. Some beautiful corals fringing Maratua, Kakaban, and in the shallows around Sangalaki. See below for a video I put together. Have fun.

I stayed on Derawan and dived with Scuba Junkie Sangalaki in July 2022 for just over a week, and had a really good time. Some beautiful corals fringing Maratua, Kakaban, and in the shallows around Sangalaki. See below for a video I put together. Have fun.

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Seeing Guitar Sharks would be a treat for me. I only saw them in Sea of Cortez & Maldives.

No luck with manta?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom