Indonesia or the Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citrinette

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Yep that's the question folks, Which would you choose?

Indonesia or the Philippines.

The choice should be based on cost of travelling (accomodation, food etc...), Cost of dives, weather and sea conditions, and of course best dives.

My boyfriend and I have some time off and we're planning a trip from February to march but we can't decide where to go. I like to look for small things on my dives, nudis mostly, he prefers the bigger stuff, tuna, sharks, dolphins, rays...

Hi Everyone,
Help!
I also need to choose between a liveaboard to Raja Ampat out of Sorong, or a liveaboard to Banda out of Ambon (I have already done Lembeh and Bunaken) in Indonesia or 5 nights at the Bahura Resort, Dumaguete with a 6 night liveaboard on the Oceanic Explorer doing the Tubbataha Reef area. Time of year will be mid March, 2009.

I just loved Indonesia and long to go back, but then this great group trip was formed for the exciting Philippine adventure. I could really use some feedback from those who have gone to both places or have first hand info.
Thanks,
Laine

Yep that's the question folks, Which would you choose?

Indonesia or the Philippines.

The choice should be based on cost of travelling (accomodation, food etc...), Cost of dives, weather and sea conditions, and of course best dives.

My boyfriend and I have some time off and we're planning a trip from February to march but we can't decide where to go. I like to look for small things on my dives, nudis mostly, he prefers the bigger stuff, tuna, sharks, dolphins, rays...

Citrinette,

1st question,[-] when is your trip[/-] and how many days/weeks?

2nd, are liveaboards a consideration?

Laine - suggest you start a separate thread. You'll likely get some good responses without having to piggyback on Citrinette's own questions and it seems you've narrowed your choices down a bit.:D

Hi Pakman,

We've got about a month to spend and yes liveaboards are a consideration. I have also started a thread on liveaboards from the philippines to Sipadan, not knowing if it was possible.

None that I know of citrinette. On a map, it looks like it would be a great route, but it takes you through unfriendly waters. Only people I know doing that were the rebels who zipped over to Sipidan to grab a few unwilling guests and took them as hostages... :D

Actually Laine does have some good suggestions in his/her post.

I'll be honest and admit up front I'll be biased towards the Philippines as I have done most of my diving over the past few years there.

That being said, your bf might be disappointed in the lack of big stuff. There's a lot of great macro sites with wonderful corals in the Philippines; Anilao, Puerto Galera, Bohol (Cabilao Island, Alona/ Balicasag etc), Dumaguete, etc... For the big stuff, you could try a liveaboard to Tubattaha (mantas/ sharks). Or you could try snorkeling with Whale Sharks in Donsol or diving with Whale Sharks in Southern Leyte or Thresher Sharks at Malapascua. Downside to the Philippines is that when traveling around the country, you'll find you have to backtrack to Manila many times if you have to fly. Although, if you focused on the sites around Cebu, you could hop around by fast ferries and various land transportation and avoid having to take domestic flights.

As for Indonesia, I think there's been enough written about Manado/ Bunaken, Lembeh, Komodo, Raja Ampat and Bali. Look in the Indonesia section and someone just recently wrote a very nice report on a liveaboard to Raja Ampat.

Cost wise, I think you'll find your $$ get you a bit more in the Philippines. It'll definitely be the right season for the Philippines. Not sure how March equates to diving in the various Indonesian sites, but it's such a large archipelago that something if not all of it should be in season.

Not many liveaboards in the Philippines other than the Tubbataha. A number of big dive ops in the country will arrange what they call "dive safaris". They will use their local boats (bangkas) to dive and transport you around from location to location but you will stay on land at a local resort. But this would only make sense if you have a large group that could charter the boat.

Best to ask questions about any specific sites in the Indonesia and Philippines forum sections as sadly the "General Asia" section is a bit of a black hole unless you have questions about diving Inner Mongolia and China... j/k :wink:

For an idea of what to find around the Philippines, feel free to click on my photo link below. There are a number of u/w photos taken in the Philippines sorted by location.

Wow.....lemme guess....shucks.....let's see.....sheesh, that is easy..........

PHILIPPINES (without a doubt, no question, no hesitation)

.................maybe I am just biased though.

Back
Top Bottom