Indonesia Liveaboard Leatherback Turtle Expediton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c2t91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
SOLO (Save Our Leatherback Turtles Operation) is sponsoring two ten day expeditons to nesting grounds just off the coast of Papua. The Leatherback Turtle population is in rapid decline and efforts to save these GIANT turtles are underway. Two days will be spent onsite observing ongoing turtle operations and the turtles as they lay their eggs (you will be up very late to see this spectacle). The remainder of the trip you will be diving two days on WWII vessels/aircraft near Japanese and US air strips and finish the trip diving the Raja Ampats. I am diving on the first expedition which is full but there are still a couple of berths available on the second expedition which leaves Sorong (Papua) on 3 Aug and returns to Sorong 13 Aug. Cost is $2600. The nice thing about the trip is that those of you that itemize on your Federal Taxes will be able to DEDUCT trip expenses including food, travel, lodging, and the cost of the trip. SOLO is an IRS approved 501 C 3 non-profit organization. So.... the net cost will be somewhat less than the $2600.

This will be an awesome trip. The 110' boat is new - first trip was in April. I have been diving in this area the past two years with the SOLO founder/director and there are always new discoveries. Great underwater photo opportunities and plenty of opportunities above the water while we are visiting the nesting grounds too. There will also be opportunities to visit the jungle in search of rare Birds of Paradise! NEED I SAY MORE?

Here are a link to the most recent press release from SOLO. At the bottom of the article there is a link to the SOLO website (more information) and email address if you wish to contact the organization.

Please feel free to contact me with questions! If you think this trip is for you, do not delay - boat will be full (with 12 divers).

Back
Top Bottom