India/Sub-Indian Continental Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever been diving off India or Sri Lanka? What can you tell me about your experience?

I'm looking here as it's dirt-cheap to travel from Doha, not to mention close by (only about 5 hours to Sri Lanka). Yes, the Maldives are also within 4 hours, but why not try a few more places...

From what I know the only place with a recreational dive industry on mainland India is Goa but people who I know who dived there were not impressed. There is excellent diving in the Lakshadweep Islands, similar to the Maldives but they are difficult to get to and not cheap.

There is good diving in Sri Lanka if you go to the right place. Conditions are variable and can change between flat seas and 30m viz to big swells and 5-10m viz as most sites are exposed to wind and currents. Unfortunately some of the popular places on the south coast have seen a lot of dynamite fishing but there are still a few reefs and wrecks that are interesting in Hikkaduwa and Galle on the south coast. There is good diving off Negombo, which is close to the airport and the capital Colombo. Negombo reefs have good fish life and some offshore reefs have consistently good viz of 25m+. The diving off Colombo is actually very good with some good offshore reefs and excellent wreck diving. We have been having 25m+ viz the past weeks with lots of fish including pelagics. The Sri Lanka Sub Aqua Club organizes diving off Colombo but currently there is a security restriction and only club members are allowed to dive by the navy. The west/south coast season runs from November to April. From April to October the sea is good on the east coast but that area is currently a bit volatile due to the war. There is good diving however, from shallow reefs to the wreck of the HMS Hermes that may be dived through special expeditions. Generally the reef diving is good but you cant compare it with the Maldives, but the wreck diving is excellent. Its also relatively cheap and there is a lot more to see and do other than diving.

PM me if you need more info or plan to come to Sri Lanka. We dive almost every weekend during the west coast season and will be happy to have any SB members join us. For more info check out www.divesrilanka.com.for info and updates on diving in Sri Lanka.

Well I never dove there but from some indian friends i heard Lakshadweep islands are great for diving. But as Nishan says its quite hard to get there. you need special permit from indian government. .......the other option is Maldives, at the same distance which is really good for diving. in maldives they do quite few liveaboard trips. which you would be able to see quite lot of stuffs. i loved those trips i went.

enojoy.

Hi,
I only dived once in Sri Lanka in south Unawatuna/Galle area... and to me, that was a complete waste of time : like Nishan says, devoid of fishlife.
Arthur C.Clarke claimed there was interesting wreck diving in the far south (don't remember the name) but generally the swells are HUGE there.

India : nearly not India but I dived the Andaman & Nicobar with Dive India located o Havelock island (check member Vkalia on this site) and I reckoned some sites like Dixon's Pinnacle were really worth the trip... you sometimes have to push the fish to swim forward.

cheers
Luko

Yes the south has been devastated by the dynamiters. The navy has finally started cracking down on them recently but it remains to see if it will be a long term effort. In any case, it will take a few years to recover. Sadly many tourists diving in Hikkaduwa and Unwawatuna often never see the better dive sites in Sri Lanka. Right now there are only a few sites I consider worth diving in the south.

I think Negombo has the best diving in terms of quality and accessibility. The fish life is actually similar to Thailand. Clouds of glassfish, schools of sweetlips, lots of lionfish etc. and there are a couple of dive operators so diving is easy to organize. Colombo is very good with great wrecks and good reefs but requires prior approval to dive due to security measures for the harbour. Hopefully they will lift restrictions soon. This last month we have seen everything from clownfish and lionfish to turtles, eagle rays, tuna, whale sharks and dolphins. There is also good diving on the northwest around Kalpitiya but no dive operators so you need to organize on your own.

Luko I think you are referring to the Great Basses on the southeast. He wrote a book on their expedition to salvage silver from a wreck there (Treasure of the Great Reef). Actually the wrecks there are old and broken up but the reef is interesting and fish life is good. But diving is only possible during a short window from mid March to mid April.

The Andamans is on my list to visit. Geographically though its closer to Thailand and would expect the reefs and species to be similar. As for Lakshadweep I would think the Maldives would be an easier alternative.

Thanks Nishan for the good information! I checked out Dive Sri Lanka as well as as your blog-- both nicely-done. Am still deciding for sure what I want to do-- it's either diving or Istanbul. I've only got 4 days total to go away, including flying, so may end up saving SL for another time. Anything is possible, though. (^^).

Yes best save SL for another time if you only have 4 days. Istanbul sounds interesting for a few days!

I wont do SL purely as a dive destination. But its a great place to enjoy culture, history and wildlife with some good diving as well. Would recommend one week minimum here. Its a small country but with a lot to see.

Cheers,

Nishan

But its a great place to enjoy culture, history and wildlife ...
...Would recommend one week minimum here. Its a small country but with a lot to see.

On that part, I think I will fully agree with you, Nishan.

Loved Kandy temples and its market, the road along tea plantations to Nuwara Elya, Tamil festivals I came through, Matara buddhist novice schools, stilt fishermen in Koggala, Negombo fish market, etc. just to name a few.

cheers
Luko

I did a couple of dive trips and a tourist trip to SL. Really a great country and the people are much friendlier than those in India. The wreck diving in the south was nice and my main regret was not being able to get on the Hermes, hop to come back when the situation improves.

Mmm, that's what I was thinking-- wait until I had more time, and then do a diving and tourist trip. Then again, as it's so cheap to travel to SL, I could go and dive, and then be a tourist at another time.

Gah... nothing like indecision, or inability to decide on something!!

Back
Top Bottom