Independent DM/Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we did our initial Discover Scuba course back in 2010 the theory and pool skills were done by Peter and the dives were led by Robert. Robert is the one who will be certifying my husband this summer. We did not receive any paperwork for any of the dives so I don't have Robert's PADI # and I doubt any of them were logged.

We live near CLT and would prefer not to have to get certified in the quarry. Plus we just really love the warm, clear, shallow, waters of the Bahamas :)

So that's our dilemma.

My husband hasn't purchased the e-learning course yet. Does it ask for your instructor's PADI# anywhere? If it did, that would be a perfect excuse to ask Robert for his and use PADI Pro Check.

Yes, when your husband logs into the e-learning program it will prompt him to "affiliate" with a dive shop and then that shop will get a percentage of the e-learning fee. If he will be doing the CW and OW with Robert then it makes sense that you would want him to be the one who receives the money. Since he is independent now and not working for a shop, the only way for that to happen is for Robert to buy an "E-learning gift pass" and then provide your husband with the PIN number to use it. If your husband just buys the e-learning from PADI's website then it will give him a drop down list of dive shops to choose from but the list won't include independent instructors.

When we did our initial Discover Scuba course back in 2010 the theory and pool skills were done by Peter and the dives were led by Robert. Robert is the one who will be certifying my husband this summer. We did not receive any paperwork for any of the dives so I don't have Robert's PADI # and I doubt any of them were logged.

We live near CLT and would prefer not to have to get certified in the quarry. Plus we just really love the warm, clear, shallow, waters of the Bahamas :)

So that's our dilemma.

My husband hasn't purchased the e-learning course yet. Does it ask for your instructor's PADI# anywhere? If it did, that would be a perfect excuse to ask Robert for his and use PADI Pro Check.

If you were last in the water in 2010, I'm afraid you're going to have to start your training from scratch. Any "Discover Scuba" credits you may have earned (as in not having to repeat portions of the course that was already covered) are gone as you didn't complete your training within a year.

If you are actually in contact with Robert, you should ask him for his Instructor #. If there is any hesitation about getting it from him, then find another Instructor.

WWe live near CLT and would prefer not to have to get certified in the quarry. Plus we just really love the warm, clear, shallow, waters of the Bahamas :)

True, getting certified in a quarry is not the best option, however it would leave you time to explore Bahamas under water. However it is your choice of where to spend time and money :)

Offer is still on the table if you wish (I am in CLT).

Ok, so we finally got it all figured out. Looks like Peter will be our instructor, which is totally fine. We've done about 4 other discover scuba dives since 2010 so I'm glad he's finally pulling the trigger so we don't keep spending $$ on DS courses :)

Now I just need to work on me.

Thanks everyone for your help!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom