Incident in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thats just terrible, I don't know what other input I could have.

It wasn't a diving accident, but a boating accident. The same thing couldve happened while swimming next to the boat.

Note the investigation hasn't been completed, and there's a suggestion of a hush up due to the stature of the people involved. Hmm.

How horrible!

Just goes to show how important the most basic things are, such as ascending on a line, the old extend arm/look posture on ascent, etc.

My thoughts and prayers are with his survivors.

GrierHPharmD:
How horrible!

Just goes to show how important the most basic things are, such as ascending on a line, the old extend arm/look posture on ascent, etc.

99% of the dives in Cozumel are live drift dives so there is not an ascent line. My guess is that there also was no dive flag. It will be interesting to see if the boat captain is reprimanded in some way.

Johnoly:
It will be interesting to see if the boat captain is reprimanded in some way.
Dunno why. He was diving off that boat, and it isn't clear from the account that the propellers were engaged/turning at the time. It could have been that the boat stern came down off a swell as he was beneath the propeller (stopped - motionless)...same outcome could have occurred. Don't know how many tons that boat weighs...

Same result either way, and nothing the captain could have done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom