In water save a dive kit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdonb6784

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hey all,
What are some things you keep in a wet save a dive kit. I have a mouthpiece, zip ties, handwheel knob, different size Port plugs, and a few small tools. What have you found most useful?

Most useful and the thing I really have ever used is a small handwheel nut wrench. I've been in the water enough times and noticed my handwheel was loose. If you lose the know, you probably lost the nut, so I don't see the point of carrying a whole handwheel. Also, I don't know what I would need port plugs for in the water. Maybe in my dry save a dive kit, but you specifically asked for in-water.

I have had a hp hose blow and had to stop it. There is a tool called a Rikki Wrench I've been trying to get my hands on but haven't been able to yet. Also I carry a handwheel because if I lose the handwheel chances are I'm noticing while having to use it so I will just hold onto the handwheel if I have to. The only time I've ever thought it would be beneficial is while fluttering the tank, luckily I have never had to do so but I would like to be prepared if it ever arose.

Last edited:
I have had a hp hose blow and had to stop it. There is a tool called a Rikki Wrench I've been trying to get my hands on but haven't been able to yet. Also I carry a handwheel because if I lose the handwheel chances are I'm noticing while having to use it so I will just hold onto the handwheel if I have to. The only time I've ever thought it would be beneficial is while fluttering the tank, luckily I have never had to do so but I would like to be prepared if it ever arose.

A HP hose failure is typically a non-issue. They're rarely catastrophic. Are you saying you removed the hose, and plugged the hp port? Seems like more work than just dealing with it. I had a hp hose failure about 2500 feet into a cave and I just shut the valve down.
Unless maybe you're talking about on a stage, but I don't know that I'd waste the time plugging it. It'd be interesting to hear the rest of the story.

It was a deco bottle and it was just as easy to plug it rather than flutter the valve. But like anything else depends on the person and the situation. No real exciting story, thankfully.

That makes more sense now. For some reason I had primary tank in my head and didn't think deco bottle.

Changed my thinking mid post, didn't delete the original.

One reply:

Depends on the dive.

Most I carry is wrenches and port plugs. Zip ties and some string. Boltsnap and oring.

Anything else I don't mind calling the dive or living with the issue. Ripped mouthpiece, I just lip the bare reg.

I'm diving with redundancy for planning which doesn't include underwater repair.

I've fixed a few things underwater for fun.

Most of the time I carry nearly nothing. Rather not have the clutter and false sense of security.

Second reply:

I've been happy to carry and use: zip ties, orings, port plugs, wrenches, bolt snaps, string, bungie, mouth pieces, duct tape and a coin underwater. Nothing has been necessary, but being able to patch up/repair during the dive is personally satisfying and moves me further towards safe margins.

Regards,
Cameron

Changed my thinking mid post, didn't delete the original.

One reply:

Depends on the dive.

Most I carry is wrenches and port plugs. Zip ties and some string. Boltsnap and oring.

Anything else I don't mind calling the dive or living with the issue. Ripped mouthpiece, I just lip the bare reg.

I'm diving with redundancy for planning which doesn't include underwater repair.

I've fixed a few things underwater for fun.

Most of the time I carry nearly nothing. Rather not have the clutter and false sense of security.

Second reply:

I've been happy to carry and use: zip ties, orings, port plugs, wrenches, bolt snaps, string, bungie, mouth pieces, duct tape and a coin underwater. Nothing has been necessary, but being able to patch up/repair during the dive is personally satisfying and moves me further towards safe margins.

Regards,
Cameron

A coin?? Can you elaborate please? This intrigues me.

A coin?? Can you elaborate please? This intrigues me.

20180223_210533-01-1.jpg

Not the right tool... But had a freeflow and got curious while feathering the valve if I could detune the first stage enough to compensate. Could. Glad to have the coin along... Inside my shorts, inside a double 7mm wetsuit... The contortions and cold weren't worth it... But satisfied it worked and I could finish the dive without constant valve manipulating.

So there's my story.
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom