In trouble for doing my job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the references. The have been included in a 'strongly worded email'! I'll wait to see the results...

One way to (diplomatically) control dangerous muppets is to start betting with other divers/crew/friends on how, when and where they will die underwater. Let them see you do it. LOL

Jimbo,

How clear were you and the boat owner regarding what he expected from you?

Did he just expect you to be a Dive Guide or were you actually tasked with managing and babysitting the Certified Divers?

I'm a PADI DM, qualified within the last year, and as such I feel I need some backup with a problem I encountered on a friends boat.

The boat belongs to an American who lent it to some Mexican friends of his to do some diving in Mexico. I went along as a DM to help out and make sure all went well.

While doing the checks for a shallow 8 - 10 meter reef I became aware that one of the divers was preparing to dive on a Nitrox tank, without being certified, which held 1500psi. He attached to the tank a regulator we had put aside as it was leaking due to a lose yoke retainer. He then attempted to squeeze into a small BCD despite being an easy large. At this point I told him he would not be diving until we collected fresh tanks and the correct equipment. He became very agitated and combative.

At this point one of the other divers abandoned his dive due to an inability to equalise. I told the first diver he would be able to dive if he remained calm and began checking the equipment. The tank o-ring was damaged and leaking but before I could replace it I was physically pushed away and could not complete any further checks before the diver entered the water.

The whole dive was an disorganised shambles and I have been given a lot of grief over my attempts to ensure the safety of divers with little experience and such a strong desire to be in the water they refused basic safety checks.

If any of you can provide documented evidence of things going wrong under similar circumstances to the above then it would certainly strengthen my case for refusing to facilitate further diving with this group.

Many thanks in advance.

As a PADI Divemaster, you must conform to PADI standards. It's reasonable that you are required to ensure that the divers under your control are certified. As this person was not certified, your liability insurance would not cover you should there be an incident. It's reasonable to believe that you are responsible for diver safety and as Divemaster it is your judgement alone that defines this. A improperly equipped or uncertified diver is enough in itself for you to stop them from entering the water.

Were you working as a divemaster, did the owner or guests ask you to be a divemaster for the group?

They sound like real a$$holes. I like Devon's idea of betting which one will die first. The owner for allowing them to treat you like that is also a real piece of work. Better off without him anyway. As to the actual issues. Unless you own the gear, boat, and tanks there is really not much you can do. How close was shore? Might be worth it to tell them to go forth and multiply, jump in, and swim for the shore. Leave them to their own devices. Would show all concerned what you think of them. The owner hung you out to dry. You can bet he knew they were jerks and did not want to deal with them himself. You got suckered into babysitting brats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom