In the midst of Hurricane Ophelia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fpsndiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey all,

Here in Wilmington, it appears we are in the worst of Hurricane Ophelia right now.....we still have power, and I still have internet.....some rain and occasionally heavy wind....seems to be getting a little less intense now. Definitely no Katrina for us.....this is probably going to kill one of the best dive seasons we have had in a long time though.......we have had killer vis and really warm water offshore here all summer, and this stupid storm is ruining all of that! Crap!

Tom

Well, glad to hear all is ok for now....keep safe and good luck!

fpsndiver:
Hey all,

Here in Wilmington, it appears we are in the worst of Hurricane Ophelia right now.....we still have power, and I still have internet.....some rain and occasionally heavy wind....seems to be getting a little less intense now. Definitely no Katrina for us.....this is probably going to kill one of the best dive seasons we have had in a long time though.......we have had killer vis and really warm water offshore here all summer, and this stupid storm is ruining all of that! Crap!

Tom

Want some cheese with that wine?

While I can appreciate your wanting good vis and nice water temps, meanwhile people in FL are STILL working out of temp buildings in the wake of last years Storms, not to mention the current disaster...

I'd just thank the Stars that you are sitting in the worst of the storm safely with power, water, and an internet connection!!

Let's hope that everyone is going through no worst from Ophelia...

I have been in bad ones too Ron....Hugo, Fran, and Floyd....I have lived here for a long time, and have seen much suffering due to these things.....lost half my house with Fran(September 1996 tree crashed through 2 bedrooms and basically cut house in half down to the foundation)! We were homeless for a couple days......had to stay in a shelter, didn't have any chance to get anything done and my wife was on her own to sort things out...... as I am a cop, and have to work during these damn things. I am getting ready to go into work right now, so I have a distinct empathy for those in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama that you obviously don't understand.....(I have family in Biloxi) I am thankful that we...so far haven't been devestated (as we have in the past) by this hurricane....I am thankful to be here posting this message, and that was the sentiment in my post. Life goes on, and the fact that I choose to keep living it, is not reflective of any lack of concern I have for anyone else in hurricane affected areas, and I pray for the safety of all that may be affected by any storm. I have volunteered through my department to go to Louisiana for "Mutual Aid" via FEMA, if Louisiana requests NC assistance for officers down there. There was no need to jump in my mess over this post! In summary....I don't need any cheese, and I wasn't whining.

Cheers (sarcasm),

Tom

fpsndiver:
Hey all,

Tom

We lost power here (off Masonboro) from about 7-noon. It's back now, along with the cable modem. Neighbor had a big pine tree fall perfectly and it seems to have missed his house.
I couldn't get my trailer out of the back yard due to some construction going on here so I had to leave the boat at the marina. Hopefully it will make it through with no damage. So far, not much of an event here. Hopefully it will move on with little damage.

John

Well I hope from inland from you all goes well. And have to agree we had an excellent season hear in NC with visibility been best in years and temps.
We see how this goes so please post your post Hurricane dive reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom