In search of O.gracillis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am a student at the Evergreen State College and am doing a behavioral study on the Graceful Decorator crabs choice in camouflage. We have been going to the coast and tide pooling, but are having no luck. We are looking into some other methods, but I thought I would try the local diving community to see if anyone is spotting these guys around. If so, maybe we can coordinate. We have a collections permit. Our project was supposed to only be for this quarter, so were hoping to find some soon. Thanks for reading this and hope for some input.
-Dallas

Dallas: I frequently dive Mukilteo, AKA the T-docks. I see dozens, perhaps hundreds, of your crab there. It is a fun dive, easy entry, protected from most winds and currents, and many other things to see. I would be glad to accompany you on a dive there, but I will be in Hawaii until Thanksgiving. Let me know if you need help. - Curt

Curt, thank you so much for the response. After Thanksgiving will be cutting it a little close, but we may need any help we can get at this point. Please let me know when your back in the area and have fun in Hawaii in the mean time.

gulogulo, are you a diver? If so, we can show you tons of these crabs in a number of local sites. Their camouflage varies from hydroids to red sea algae -- I love the little guys!

Unfortunately I'm not and the folks that I know that do dive are currently all out of the area. We have a lab set up with saltwater tanks back at campus where we are going to run tests on their choice in camo compared to their surroundings. Now we just need some crabs. We have been driving to the coast from Olympia to tide pool the last few days with no luck. We might go check the pilings at night this weekend cause the tides are looking good.

*bump*
So is there anyone going out in the next week or so that we might be able to talk to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom